[SOLVED] Which HDD should I buy for backups and archiving?

Konskoo

Prominent
Mar 23, 2020
I want to buy HDD and External Hard Drive Enclosure. I will connect it to computer via USB. I will write on this HDD system backups, current sound work files backups, sound work files archive. I run Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

HDD with what rotation speed and what size of cache should I buy for this?

Solution
@USAFRet, thank you. I took into consideration.

When HDD with archive not in External Hard Drive Enclosure or HDD Docking Station how do you store HDD? Do you use hard protection case? ABS plastic? Do you use protection pack, protection bag? Antistatic?
My spinning drives are in or attached to my NAS box. In the NAS, or in 2 different 4 bay enclosures.
I have an "offsite" drive in case of extreme need (think zombies) that sits in a desk drawer at work. No ABS, no anti static...just sitting in the drawer.

I have a toaster style docking station here for temporary use.

Konskoo

Prominent
Mar 23, 2020
Budget?

If you want best of the best, then get WD/HGST Helio seal models. Probably too good/expensive for just backup/archive purposes.

@SkyNetRising, thank you. I took into attention.

Budget from task. Task - to make reliable archive. I want to make balanced decision. I think about varian minimum, variant maximum, variant optimum.

Konskoo

Prominent
Mar 23, 2020
1TB - for backups and archives? Seriously?
And you think, that will be enough?
You'll end up with a shelf full of 1TB drives.

Start with 3TB or 4TB at least.

@SkyNetRising, thank you.

Why I want to use many 1TB HDDs? If something will happen with 1TB HDD I will loose less data then if something will happen with 3TB HDD.

Also I will make copy of each 1TB archive HDD.

What do you think?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Konskoo

Prominent
Mar 23, 2020
For backup drives, RPM and cache size is irrelevant.

And I agree with the above. 1TB drives? Why?

16x 1TB @$45 ea = $720
2x 8TB @$135 ea = $270

@USAFRet, thank you. I took into attention.

If something will happen with 8TB HDD I will loose a lot of data. If something will happen with 1TB HDD I will loose less data. Also I will make copy of each archive HDD. What do you think?

USAFRet

Titan

If something will happen with 8TB HDD I will loose a lot of data. If something will happen with 1TB HDD I will loose less data. Also I will make copy of each archive HDD. What do you think?
That is the whole concept behind "backup".
2 copies, on 2 different media. 1x 8TB, and 1x 8TB as the backup.

Unlikely 2 individual physical drives would die at the same time.

If the data lives on ONE drive, it may be considered to not exist at all.

Reactions: Konskoo

chrisanders466

Commendable
Jun 27, 2018

your budget allows you to even take x3 or x4 copies my only issue if that was me plugging in devices and transferring data over usb3 even 1 TB will suck doing this just as much as 8 TB if not more than if using multiples of 1TB the time waiting to fill it and then go to the next drive

just another taught is cloud storage options 5tb starts at like around $2 per year and they are already redundant and you don't have to worry about storing it nor do you need to worry about drive failure and power

USAFRet

Titan
your budget allows you to even take x3 or x4 copies my only issue if that was me plugging in devices and transferring data over usb3 even 1 TB will suck doing this just as much as 8 TB if not more than if using multiples of 1TB the time waiting to fill it and then go to the next drive

just another taught is cloud storage options 5tb starts at like around $2 per year and they are already redundant and you don't have to worry about storing it nor do you need to worry about drive failure and power
Its not copying 8TB every time.
Only NEW data.

1 stack of 1TB drives sitting on the shelf:
Much like the cat, these are Schrödinger's drives. Unknown if they still work, until you plug them back in.

Personally, I would not do it that way. And don't. My house systems and data all back up to my NAS, every night. Takes exactly 0 time on my part.
To each his own, though.

USB spinning drives are about $60-80 for 2-4 TB models these days...; heck, buy two of them , because to trust only one only to have it fail when you need it is frustrating...

Whatever your procedure and chosen software, it's best to practice it at least once so you know it works...

Macrium Reflect, Rescuezilla, Acronis True Image (free version if you have a Crucial or WD drive anywhere connected, even if not actually used in the procedure!) many options for imaging the entire drive these days...