Which HDD should I buy?

rivas

Reputable
Jun 1, 2015
Hi

I have a SSD for windows7 and a WD Black 1TB.

now I want to buy an other HDD.

Which HDD should I buy?

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM ST1000DM003 (2011 or 2012)

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM ST1000DM010 (2016)

WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM WD10EZEX (2011 or 2012)

Quality and life and lack of noise is important to me

Solution
Oooh oooh, can I play? I've had failures with Seagate, WD, Toshiba, Fuji, Samsung, IBM, Quantum (granted it was over 10 years old), Conner, and Micropolis (considered the Rolls Royce of HDD manufacturers at the time).

Surprisingly, I've got a 13 year old Maxtor SATA drive which is still alive and kicking. Maxtor was considered a cheap/crappy brand so this was to be my sacrificial drive. I used it in all the bad jobs (systems which were frequently moved, used in hot or dirty environments, etc) expecting it to die. I want the damn thing to die and it refuses. I don't even handle it carefully anymore. If I need a temporary drive for a job, I just toss it in the passenger seat of the car. It just keeps working. So you can...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I've had all three of those HDDs at one point or another. Still have some sitting on the shelf. To be honest, I can't tell a bit of difference between them in quality, noise or longevity. In fact, I have yet to have my first HDD failure with either Seagate or WD. Now, Toshiba on the other hand...

Oooh oooh, can I play? I've had failures with Seagate, WD, Toshiba, Fuji, Samsung, IBM, Quantum (granted it was over 10 years old), Conner, and Micropolis (considered the Rolls Royce of HDD manufacturers at the time).

Surprisingly, I've got a 13 year old Maxtor SATA drive which is still alive and kicking. Maxtor was considered a cheap/crappy brand so this was to be my sacrificial drive. I used it in all the bad jobs (systems which were frequently moved, used in hot or dirty environments, etc) expecting it to die. I want the damn thing to die and it refuses. I don't even handle it carefully anymore. If I need a temporary drive for a job, I just toss it in the passenger seat of the car. It just keeps working. So you can never tell.

Solution