Question Which headphones should I choose for 30€?

SpartansMan

Honorable
Jun 29, 2015
Hi, my Ausdom M04s broke, because of my rage problems cough. So I was looking for a replacement but I kind of don't know anything about headphones so maybe you have any suggestions. Right now I'm thinking about :
  • New Superlux HD 681
  • Used Steelseries Arctis 3
  • New HyperX Cloud Stinger
I even found a listing of Kingston HyperX Cloud I and Cloud Alpha used for my budget, but I think they're stolen because the prices are too low in my opinion.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Those are a lot of used headphones on that list. How are you sure they're not stolen either? :) I'd actually ask you to pass on the prices of the other three headphones you think are stolen. I'd pick the Hyper X Cloud(i)'s if you're looking for a headset, not headphones.

SpartansMan

Honorable
Jun 29, 2015
Those are a lot of used headphones on that list. How are you sure they're not stolen either? :) I'd actually ask you to pass on the prices of the other three headphones you think are stolen. I'd pick the Hyper X Cloud(i)'s if you're looking for a headset, not headphones.
HyperX Cloud I is one of the headphones that I think are stolen, including HyperX Cloud Alpha. I'm not sure if the other aren't stolen, but they don't look that suspicious, at least to me. I would be fine with either, headset or headphones. Actually I checked the listing again, and Cloud II are there too for 20 euros lol.

SpartansMan

Honorable
Jun 29, 2015
So, I actually got HD 681 for 12.50 euros, because I bought them used. I wanted to order them from the shop, but delivery would take about 2 weeks and I didn't want to wait that long, so I cancelled the order. I didn't really expect the build quality to be that bad to be honest, but you get what you pay for. For me, they aren't that uncomfortable, they definitely aren't as comfortable as my old Ausdom's, but I think pads change might fix that. Sound quality wise, they sound pretty much the same as my old ones, but not as boxed in. And I didn't really notice a problem with highs, maybe I just need to use them for longer or something, as I had them for only a few days.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
So, I actually got HD 681 for 12.50 euros, because I bought them used. I wanted to order them from the shop, but delivery would take about 2 weeks and I didn't want to wait that long, so I cancelled the order. I didn't really expect the build quality to be that bad to be honest, but you get what you pay for. For me, they aren't that uncomfortable, they definitely aren't as comfortable as my old Ausdom's, but I think pads change might fix that. Sound quality wise, they sound pretty much the same as my old ones, but not as boxed in. And I didn't really notice a problem with highs, maybe I just need to use them for longer or something, as I had them for only a few days.

For gaming and Movies
HyperX cans are good... not so good with music since they all lack decent Treble.

For mixed usage " Gaming, Movies and Music" Arctis 3 are pretty solid but lack the bass you get on Clouds and the HD 681.

HD 681's are actually quite good for the price but I find the high mids/low treble to be rather... shrill and bright on some things. I also found the pads to be okayish...nothing special..kinda hurts after a long period of use. To make those shine you need to run an EQ and replace the pads but I suggest you proceed with caution on the pads many of them will really screw up the sound profile.

Brainwavz HM5

Those add more mid-bass and warm up the Treble around 5K, they also add more ambient noise bleaching, which isn't terrible since those cans don't block much noise to begin with.

EQ with Equalizer APO and Peace

With those pads use the settings here with a few exceptions.

5K will be -2
124hz +.5
156hz +.5

One more suggestion on used Superlux, the weakness is the cable connector. They tend to pull out over time so I suggest opening them up and hitting the inside of the cable/frame with a little silicone.

Reactions: SpartansMan

SpartansMan

Honorable
Jun 29, 2015
For gaming and Movies
HyperX cans are good... not so good with music since they all lack decent Treble.

For mixed usage " Gaming, Movies and Music" Arctis 3 are pretty solid but lack the bass you get on Clouds and the HD 681.

HD 681's are actually quite good for the price but I find the high mids/low treble to be rather... shrill and bright on some things. I also found the pads to be okayish...nothing special..kinda hurts after a long period of use. To make those shine you need to run an EQ and replace the pads but I suggest you proceed with caution on the pads many of them will really screw up the sound profile.

Brainwavz HM5

Those add more mid-bass and warm up the Treble around 5K, they also add more ambient noise bleaching, which isn't terrible since those cans don't block much noise to begin with.

EQ with Equalizer APO and Peace

With those pads use the settings here with a few exceptions.

5K will be -2
124hz +.5
156hz +.5

One more suggestion on used Superlux, the weakness is the cable connector. They tend to pull out over time so I suggest opening them up and hitting the inside of the cable/frame with a little silicone.
Thanks for the suggestions, but those pads are quite expensive and they also aren't for sale at the moment. I don't really want to spend much on them and shipping would cost for me a bit too, as I live in the Baltics. I'm thinking about getting maybe XRHYY pads from Aliexpress just for some time.