Novacore676

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
Alright so currently i have a 27 inch 4k 144hz hdr monitor from LG and i use a 3090 to power it. I love the resolution at this size and everything looks so crisp/sharp.

Even with a 3090, AAA games at max settings will most likely get 100 or less frames depending on the title but they are usually single player games which is not a huge deal. The multiplayer games i usually get 120+ fps especially when using dlss.

My dream monitor i guess would be some kind of ultrawide at 4k 144hz oled and maybe a glossy screen only because it really does make the picture look better since there is no matte film. I know there can be reflections but lets be real here, if i am looking at hardware like this, you already know my troll-lookin-A** never sees the light of day ever and neither does my hardware, so i am not that worried about glare from a glossy screen.

Looking at the upcoming monitors for this year, it doesn't seem like i will find such a monitor, even with a matte screen, and i really want to go with an ultrawide this time around to play some games that look really good in that aspect ratio.

I currently have a 3 monitor setup and i use the other ones for media/discord exclusively while gaming on the main 4k monitor in the middle.

So the first thing i was excited for was the odyssey ark 55 inch 4k monitor which is very interesting because it can pretty much be used as an 49 inch ultra wide screen with extra video inputs above that but all in one monitor. Here is a link to a thread with some info on it: https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/4/22867790/samsung-odyssey-arc-curved-gaming-monitor

The most interesting thing about this is that i could just get rid of the triple monitor setup and have it all done in one big monitor that can be adjusted depending on the situation. But then thinking about it a bit more in depth, because it is 4k and 55inches, that would mean that using part of the screen really isnt in 4k. for example, lets say i wanted to make one section of the monitor 27 inches with a 16:9 ratio, that portion of the screen isn't full 4k, because the pixels are spread within the entire monitor to equal 4k. is this the right way to think about it? Another example would be if i made the bottom portion a 49 inch ultra wide 32:9 aspect ratio. That means its pretty much 2 27 inch screens at 1080p connected to make that aspect ratio right? I am not an expert with resolution/pixel count, but does that equate to a typical 49 inch 1440p ultrawide then? I am not sure how it works.

The other monitor i am highly debating on getting is the dell ultra wide with qd-oled 1440p 34 inch 175hz refresh rate. Here is the link for a review of the monitor: https://www.pcworld.com/article/624...-oled-makes-rival-monitors-feel-obsolete.html

So there are pros and cons to this one as well. first of all, it is 1440p and stretched in a 34 inch ultrawide, so this means the sharpness will be a bit less than a 27 inch 4k and i might notice it. Also, because it is an ultrawide, it might also be around the same performance hit as a 4k 27 inch monitor, so i prob wont see much gains in FPS but i am going down in resolution,
The pro to this screen however is the fact it will be an ultrawide, it has a higher refreshrate/lower response time, and QD-OLED. I have never experienced OLED on a monitor and barely on a TV so i wonder if this will offset the resolution difference to me. The price will also be more attractive at around 1300 dollars instead of most likely 2500-3000 dollars for the ARK monitor.

I do plan on getting a 4090 if possible to run these monitors and i am sure the 4090 will give a significant boost compared to the 3090 based on leaks so far so i am not worried about performance on these monitors now, and especially in the near future.

Anyone more knowledgeable able to answer the question i had about the 2 27 inch screens pretty much being 2 1080p resolution monitors connected for the ARK in an ultrawide 49 inch mode? not sure how it works entirely.

Also, any suggestions or thoughts about these monitors or any other great monitors i am not aware of coming out soon that i might also be interested in taking a look at?

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Do you just game or do you multitask? I found that 32:9 is kinda wonky and not always supported but great for multitasking.
I recently changed from 2 16:9 monitors with a gtx 1650 to a 3060 ti and went nuts on monitors for my new gaming/streaming/editing setup. On the bottom touching the desk and tilted is the odyssey g9 c49g97t. I cant run anything demanding on fullscreen (getting a 3080/90 soon) but splitting it to multitask is soooo awesome. Or I can use the whole thing to edit videos. Above that I have an Asus tuf 3440x1440p that I do most my gaming on.
My suggestion is to go for a 21:9 if you only game cause 32:9 feels a little too wide for me. Also 240hz vs 144hz is noticeable and kinda nice when my GPU can hit that.
I heard 4k 240hz is coming soon so maybe you would want that. Ive returned 2 monitors in the last month to find what I like lol. Everyones opinions vary

Novacore676

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2014
Do you just game or do you multitask? I found that 32:9 is kinda wonky and not always supported but great for multitasking.
I recently changed from 2 16:9 monitors with a gtx 1650 to a 3060 ti and went nuts on monitors for my new gaming/streaming/editing setup. On the bottom touching the desk and tilted is the odyssey g9 c49g97t. I cant run anything demanding on fullscreen (getting a 3080/90 soon) but splitting it to multitask is soooo awesome. Or I can use the whole thing to edit videos. Above that I have an Asus tuf 3440x1440p that I do most my gaming on.
My suggestion is to go for a 21:9 if you only game cause 32:9 feels a little too wide for me. Also 240hz vs 144hz is noticeable and kinda nice when my GPU can hit that.
I heard 4k 240hz is coming soon so maybe you would want that. Ive returned 2 monitors in the last month to find what I like lol. Everyones opinions vary

I mostly game on this setup. If i had a 34 inch ultrawide, i would at least have 1 more money for media. Most the games i play support the ultrawide view, i have started playing a lot of LoL lately as well and i know you get actual screenspace added for that game with ultrawide, which is another interesting reason to get it.

I can see the 49 inch being amazing for work but for gaming, maybe only really good for immersive driving sims and i probably wont get that much out of it for gaming, so thats why i am kinda leaning towards the 34 inch but the multi monitors in one monitor does seem appealing as well. just one monitor for all of it, but it would be pretty big. more vertical tilting of the head instead of horizontal which could be annoying.

i wonder if the 1440p resolution would look bad though on a 34 inch going from a 27 inch 4k. like how noticeable it would be.