Which high quality cable should I get

bsgreek

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Hello,

Have a 300 ft run from house to shop and connect to a router set up as an access point. Cat cabling will be run underground in 3/4" pvc.

The isp connection is satellite with 15 down/2 up.

I need recommendations for which Cat to run, what type and high quality. Any specific supplier links would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

If you are going to run it inside conduit you can use normal indoor cable. 300ft is almost at the limit so be sure it is not really something like 350ft.

Although you could run cable rated to only run 100megbit it would be silly there is almost no difference cost.. You want cat5e or cat6 cable which can do 1g. You really want whichever is cheaper. Cat6 cable has some abilities to use 10g at short distance but when you are using 1g equipment it will run exactly the same speed at cat5e. Why you can sometimes get cat6 cheaper is a mystery.

The key is to buy solid copper cable. Make sure you do not buy CCA cable even though it is a lot cheaper. That cable does not meet the tia/eia standards.

A lot of people buy belden brand cable but as long as you trust that the cable is tia/eia certified (it should be marked on the cable) the brand does not make a difference. Just beware of cable you buy on ebay and such since there is counterfeit cable being directly imported from china that says it is certified but it does not pass the tests.

bsgreek

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

Thanks and a couple of follow up questions:

1. Normal- Shielded or Unshielded?

2. Do you know of online suppliers who supply what you recommend?

Thanks, I appreciate your time.

Bob

It is extremely rare to need shielding. Cables that are using in cars are shielded because of the engine. Even then you must ground the shields on both ends or it is a waste of time to install.

I tend to like these guys for cable I buy personally but there are many places to get the cable even your local home depot type store will sell cable.

http://www.deepsurplus.com/Network-Structured-Wiring/CAT5e-Ethernet-Cable-Solid

Solution