Question Which HTPC or under the monitor case should I use?

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
I want to build a gaming PC to pair up with my 4K TV. Most of the HTPC cases I've found (i.e. Silverstone GD09B) look too cramped for my liking. I would prefer the case to look like a piece of stereo equipment, but it also needs to be functional and not die from inadequate airflow.

My TV stand on order will be able to accommodate something around 8'ish inches tall. I should have around 18" of depth to play with.

Unfortunately a larger HTPC case seems hard to source out. An under-the-monitor style case would also work, but these seem hard to come by, or are limited to half height expansion cards.

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Not exactly an audio equipment/receiver design but it's snazzy looking, IMHO. Take a look at the Cryorig Taku. There are other cases out there. You may want to share your specs list with us as well as your allotted budget for the chassis and preferred site for purchase.
I don't have a specs list, yet. I'm trying to figure out my case limitations first. If I cannot find decent size cases, I'm going to have to build a more moderate system to keep noise levels down.

On a high level, I'm thinking something like:

• CPU: 6 or 8 core CPU
  • GPU: solid 1440p / entry level 4k card
  • RAM: no less than 16GB
  • Storage: 1 SSD + 1 HD, or one large SSD if the price is right
  • optical BD player

I've always used pretty large tower cases for ease of assembly (and disassembly) and better air flow. Building something more compact is going to take a bit more planning from the looks of it.