[SOLVED] Which i5 to replace i3-7100?

yeto

Reputable
Sep 28, 2017
I have a Dell Inspiron 3668 (7KY25 mb) with an i3-7100 processor. To meet new company computer specifications I have to upgrade to an i5. I do NOT need increased performance. Really all I need is when they check to see what processor I have it needs to show i5 versus i3. The i3 I now have is handling all tasks without any problems. I do not game.

Could someone recommend a processor that would work. I am hoping it is as simple as unplug the old and plug in the new so I can get back to work. I really don't want to invest any more dollars in this system than necessary.

Thank you in advance for any help,
yeto

Solution
Sorry. Either I failed to add it or the forum software glitched. Either way, this is the list I was referring to. (Laptop)

Or did you have the desktop? Either way, the i5-7400 is the least expensive way to upgrade to an i5.

yeto

Reputable
Sep 28, 2017
Well, you'll need to clean the old thermal paste off the the cooler and apply new thermal paste to the replacement CPU before you reinstall the cooler.

This list should offer you some choices in a CPU upgrade. Since they are all obsolete now, just find one that is the cheapest on the used market. Probably the i5-7400.
What am I missing? I don't see a list.

Who would actually lay out such an arbitrary , 'you must have an i5' list of specs?

an i3 with enough RAM and an SSD is better than any i5 with 4 GB of RAM and an old 5400 RPM drive.....

If they are paying for this 'needed upgrade', demand an i7 9700K or an R5-3600 :)

yeto

Reputable
Sep 28, 2017
Who would actually lay out such an arbitrary , 'you must have an i5' list of specs?

an i3 with enough RAM and an SSD is better than any i5 with 4 GB of RAM and an old 5400 RPM drive.....

If they are paying for this 'needed upgrade', demand an i7 9700K or an R5-3600 :)
It doesn't make sense to me either but you can't fight City Hall. The money comes out of "my" pocket.