maxicusdagreat

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
Alright. I've reached a dilemma. I wan't to go for an i5 for my build. I have $680 to spend on the entire build. So far, I have an MSI Twin Frozr Radeon 7850, an Asrock Z77 Extreme3, G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133 MHz, a Seagate Barracuda 1TB Drive, a Corsair Builder 500 Watt PSU, and a determined i5. I'm torn between the 2500k and the 3570k. Which one? :eek:

Doesn't really matter as their performance is darn close to identical. Though the 3570k is slightly faster at stock. So if your not overclocking and the prices are the same, that would make the 3570K the better choice. But thats splitting hairs. You wont really notice the difference.

Murderotica926

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
I just finished my new build with the 3570K. My local Micro Center had the 2500K for $160 and the 3570K for $170, and I honestly wish I would have gone with the 2500K. Not because of the extra $10, but because the 2500K runs cooler and overclocks considerably better. Yes the 3570K is 5-10% faster than the 2500K at identical clock speeds, but a 2500K at 4.8Ghz is faster overall than a 3570K at 4.5Ghz, which is about the best you can hope for. The only other advantage is PCI-e 3.0 support, but honestly you won't even notice the difference compared to the 2500K's PCI-e 2.0. It's like a 1-2 fps difference in games at the very most. Most games it's less than 1 fps difference.

JJ1217

Honorable
I would go 3570k for newer tech. Remember you can't equally compare clock rates between a 3570k and 2500k. 4.7 GHZ on a 2500k is roughly equal to 4.4 Ghz on an i5 3570k. Also, if you haven't bought that rig yet, change the ram to 1600 mhz. There is barely any advantage past 1600 mhz for intel rigs, and it saves you a fair bit of cash to spend elsewhere

Doesn't hurt to get it if its the same price. But it likely would show much improvement.

twelve25

Distinguished
Right, they are the same price. One is slightly faster at the same clock speeds and uses ~20% less power and supports PCIe 3.0. The other has lower resale value and is a discontinued processor. Unless you are getting a really good deal, like 15-20% less at least, I wouldn't go Sandy Bridge right now.

Ivy is slightly faster IPC, thats true. It also doesn't overclock as high. I call that a wash. And the IPC advantage is very small.

Power usage difference between the two is insignificant. Where you got that 20% number is a mystery worthy of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I have seen reviews where Sandy was identical and some showing advantage Ivy. In any case, its splitting hairs. The difference between 120w and 100w just doesn't matter in any desktop, save a business with a 100 systems running 24/7

PCI express 3.0 is nice. But its not a deal breaker by any means. Bandwidth is always way ahead of actual capacity.

On what planet does the 3570 have a lower resale value? Not this one. Even if it did, this isn't a car. Nobody buys a cpu to resell it. And the processor being "discontinued" argues against your theory about resale value, as discontinued intel chips tend to go up in price, not down. So if you ever start a used car.....uhhh....cpu lot, Sandy bridge could make you money.

If you get a 15 to 20% discount, its a no brainer, but even at the same price, you can argue either way.

Don't get me wrong. Your right 95% of the time. But there are always exceptions. This is one of the few.

Its not that the 2700k is a better choice, just that the difference is so small as to be rendered insignificant. Unless you use IGP, then it's ivy. But you need to be slapped if your using IGP with a $300 cpu.

twelve25

Distinguished
I think of it like a car dealer has two cars of the same model. One's a 2010 and one's a 2012. Both have same engine but the newer one is a little more aerodynamic and gets slightly better gas mileage. Would I pay the same price for the 2010? No way. Would I consider the 2010 for a big discount? Sure. At the same price you can't convince me the 2500k is on par with the 3570K.

We are just arguing in circles now, though.

I don't have to convince you. Its true, even if you don't believe it.

But, point is well taken. We just have to agree to disagree.