Which intel 2066 cpu for gaming ?

Solution
Here is the deal with games. They dont use a lot of cores. Games today like really fast cores and usually four are all that you need. The pradox is that these high end CPUs that have a bunch of cores, dont have really fast single core performance (which games like). So what happens in a game is the game is only using a few threads of your CPU, and the other threads are sitting there doing absolutely nothing. They are not helping you at all.

One the other hand, workstation applications like video editing does not need the fast single threads, it likes a lot of threads. So this is why these high core count CPUs like the Threadripper 1950x are great for workstations

I have 2 computers. One has a 1950x (threadripper), the other...

awolfe63

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
Depends on the rest of your system. Not very many games show a substantial speedup over 4 cores - and thus the fastest clock speed often wins. In fact, that's why the 8700K often has the best performance. However, if you are going to use more than one GPU - then something like the 7820X or 7900X with more PCIe lanes could have better overall gaming performance at high resolutions.

These chips are 140W - so you could do a build that works fine with a 250W supply - but presumably you are going to add a lot of GPU power. That will determine the power requirements. I would take what the GPUs require and add 250W.

I would not get a skylake x CPU for gaming, but they can game. If you are not planning on overclocking, then you should go with the 7820x as it has higher base and boost clocks. Those will help you in gaming.

If you are going to overclock, then you could settle for the 7800x, but I dont know why anyone would want that CPU now that the 8700k has been released. So if you need more cores than 6, go with the 7900x and some good cooling so you can overclock.

The PSU really depends on the rest of your system and if you are going to overclock. For a 7900x and a 1080ti, overclocking both, I would go with a good 850 watt PSU.

No way dude. That platform is way too expensive for a quad core. I dont even know if you can buy the 7740x anymore. Probably one of the worst released chips in history. It has no home.

k19_window_maker

Upstanding
Mar 2, 2018

i don't know much overclocking other than enabling the game profile in BIOS and the XMP profile too

also is it better to wait for intel's z390 cpu's and also ryzen 2 ?!?

thanks for the info mate

If you are only gaming, DO NOT get a skylake x chip. You already have a really good CPU, but the 7700k is your best option. It will get better fps in every game over any skylake x chip.

k19_window_maker

Upstanding
Mar 2, 2018

so you're saying both TR4 and 2066 are not for gaming at all if you wanna have a cool PC ? i thought rendering and gaming are essentially the same .

iamacow

Admirable
If you are not going with 8 cores or above the 2066 socket is a waste of money. The i7 8700K is faster in most games because A) 99% of games don't use more than 4 cores and B) Speed is king. the 8700K can get 5Ghz with 4600 DDR4, no 2066 can do this.

k19_window_maker

Upstanding
Mar 2, 2018

ok mate , you seen informative , but how is it that smaller chips are better optimized for gaming ? both 2066 and TR4 seem quite massive !

iamacow

Admirable

If you are just gaming. Get a i7 8700K clock it to 5Ghz and don't look back. It will last you years to come.

Here is the deal with games. They dont use a lot of cores. Games today like really fast cores and usually four are all that you need. The pradox is that these high end CPUs that have a bunch of cores, dont have really fast single core performance (which games like). So what happens in a game is the game is only using a few threads of your CPU, and the other threads are sitting there doing absolutely nothing. They are not helping you at all.

One the other hand, workstation applications like video editing does not need the fast single threads, it likes a lot of threads. So this is why these high core count CPUs like the Threadripper 1950x are great for workstations

I have 2 computers. One has a 1950x (threadripper), the other has 8700k. All of my gaming is done on the rig with the 8700k becuase it beats TR4 hands down in any game. But, do some encoding on handbrake, and the threadripper runs circles around the 8700k.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS