which is a better deal?

Solution

Its HIGHLY unlikely the DELL can be overclocked. Even if it has the better chipset the BIOS is likely locked out from doing it. I can find nothing that says you can OC via the BIOS on that...

WildCard999

Titan
The first system (Dell) will better suit your needs as long as the motherboard is a B350 and supports overclocking. If so I'd overclock that 1400 as far as it will safely go which should match the i5-7400 in gaming performance and has the additional threads for multitasking. As for the GPU the RX 570 is by far much better then the GTX 1050.

If for some reason it doesn't support overclocking I'd still probably go with it anyways as its still a good system.

acemagoo77

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018

I can't find anywhere that states the Dell can be overclocked or not.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Its HIGHLY unlikely the DELL can be overclocked. Even if it has the better chipset the BIOS is likely locked out from doing it. I can find nothing that says you can OC via the BIOS on that system.

Ryzen Master may let you do it through software, its not the best way but it works.

Solution

acemagoo77

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018

do you know of anything (system ) cheaper but close to the same performance as the dell? ...my budget was 500 but can scrap enough together for the dell if i have to.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

No, you really just need to hunt around, maybe check the Dell website often they have good deals.

The ASUS system you linked is not a huge distance off from the DELL if you're budget limited.

I would say that any prebuilt is most likely going to be locked from overclocking. I used to build some gaming systems for folks. Even though I offered warranties, if I would have had someone call with issues and find out that their issue was due to them trying to overclock, at that point I would have likely told them that was not covered and that if I did any work it would be at full rates.

As far as Dell or Asus, you can't expect them to warranty something you are modifying. That would be like buying a new car, you modify it and blow up the engine and want them to replace the engine. Likely not going to happen.

I agree. Get the Dell. That RX 370 by itself is selling for over 300 dollars at least as of a few days ago when I was looking due to the miners. 8gb of ram is about 90-100 dollars. That CPU is about 150, board is going to about 50 or 60 at least. Just on those things you are talking about 600 bucks or so. Add another 100 for windows 10. Right now you can't build that system for what they are selling it for imo. If you have the cash and need a system now, you could do a lot worse than the Dell. I would guess you may be able to later buy a new board, new case and PSU, and rebuild if you so desired, but of course that would be a new copy of windows. But I think the CPU is also a better CPU than the i5 due to it hyperthreading.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

The Windows 10 license can be moved if its attached to his Microsoft account. Win 10 has had this ability for over a year now.