[SOLVED] Which is a better price to performance, SSD cache, HDD Raid 0, Pure SSD?

scollege2014

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV_ucF-4dr0

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/7q4f6l/my_results_for_an_ssd_caching_solution_to_save/?context=10

So im trying to decide between these options for a gaming drive:

1. 2TB SSD (~230)
2. 512GB SSD as cache for 2 X ___TB HDD (RAID 0)
3. 512GB SSD as cache for a ___ TB HDD
4. HDD RAID 0

According to the youtube video i linked, Raid 0 hdd speeds approach those of SSD speeds in load times for games, but this is the only video i can find approaching the subject. And not much information is given. Is he using 7200rpm drives or 10000rpm velociraptor drives.

512GB SSD as cache means that since its just for gaming, and with cached information being so small, it would take a very long time before those cached items are rewritten/booted out. so after the first run of any map/level on a game, i should be getting SSD speeds from then on for months if not years.

But if im going to do an SSD cache, it seems RAID 0 would be unnecessary given that, again according to the video, it nearly approaches SSD speeds and would offer even greater marginal differences in performance.

so in order of price to performance it seems:

1. HDD RAID 0
2. 512GB SSD as cache for a _ TB HDD
3. 512GB SSD as cache for 2 X ___TB HDD (RAID 0)
4. 2TB SSD (~230)

this is all assuming all the above information is correct. hell with the left over money i can even configure a raid 5 system if i wish to (not that i will given the likelihood of drive failure isn't any greater than normal)

im writing this as both an mini PSA as well as asking or advice, which it seems i tend to do a lot on this sub.

Solution
Seems the common denominator in what you're looking for here is a roughly 500GB or so SSD and about 2TB of HDD space, which is a common solution for builders right now, and would probably be a bit more affordable than what you're looking at:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Seagate - Barracuda Compute 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $132.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-14 13:58 EST-0500
First thing, how much space are you planning on needing for storage for programs? Once you do that then you can find out what to get based on budget. I would just get a 500 gb SSD for the main drive for OS and programs and a larger 7200 RPM drive for storage.

Seems the common denominator in what you're looking for here is a roughly 500GB or so SSD and about 2TB of HDD space, which is a common solution for builders right now, and would probably be a bit more affordable than what you're looking at:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Seagate - Barracuda Compute 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $132.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-14 13:58 EST-0500

Solution

scollege2014

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017
LMAO please just answer the question. Everyone keeps trying to give me different options. the max im willing to spend is the price of a 2TB SSD. THE QUESTION I AM ASKING IS: which of the 3 HDD options is near or faster than SSD speeds. Just answer that.

Out of the options you are suggesting I think 970 evo NVME drive as much size as you can spend. Don't go for more space on sata3 if you really want speed.

I don't recommend a 512GB sized drive for cache. 100GB L2ARC needs about 1.5G ARC. No reason to eat your ram up when that drive size is enough to hold all the games.

10k drives are a thing of the past, SSD replaced them. If that review is pre-NVME it's outdated. HDD stripes can't touch SSD speeds.