[SOLVED] Which is a better SSD - Kioxia or Toshiba 2TB

Oct 9, 2020
I received a replacement PC from dell, highest spec xps15 model, that is refurbished. My original SSD was a Toshiba, which is a well known brand. This time, they sent me a SSD that I've never heard of, presumably, a cheaper one, but, most importantly, if it is not a well know SSD, if anything goes wrong, data recovery experts won't/can't touch it because it's not standard. This happened to me before so I need to make sure if SSD fails, at the very least, I won't be turned down by over 5 of the biggest data recovery services because they never heard of it or never worked on it. There machines aren't equipped to work with them.

So are Kioxia SSD's good, anyone with experience?

Specifically, its

KXG60PNV2T04
Solid State Drive Non-Encrypted 2048 GB NAND Flash(TLC) NVMe 1.3a/PCIe Gen 3.0 M.2 2280-S2
Manufacturer: KIOXIA
Product Category: Storage, Solid State Drives
Avnet Manufacturer Part #: KXG60PNV2T04

vs

TOSHIBA 2048gb kxg50pnv2t04

I'll see if I can get more specific info, but doing a google search, multipe price points come up, from 259, to 600. How can I tell which is the right one? What info do I need?

Solution
1. KIOXIA is Toshiba. Toshiba Memory Holdings was rebranded KIOXIA roughly 12 months ago.

2. What USAFRet said. How well a data recovery company can work with any given SSD should be your least concern around your data. Implement regular (preferably automated and offsite) backups of any data you cannot afford to lose.
Oct 9, 2020
I have two sync's set up since, but I want also the option for data recovery.

Have you heard of kioxia? I know dell makes its money on using cheaper drives, that is there trump card. The first time around, I did well, this time, the SSD is unknown. This is a 3.5K machine, originally. I will not be skimped here, if I can help it.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
1. KIOXIA is Toshiba. Toshiba Memory Holdings was rebranded KIOXIA roughly 12 months ago.

2. What USAFRet said. How well a data recovery company can work with any given SSD should be your least concern around your data. Implement regular (preferably automated and offsite) backups of any data you cannot afford to lose.

Reactions: CompuTronix
Solution
Oct 9, 2020
Ahh, that's such a relief. Thank you!!!

Good point. I guess I still haven't gotten over that burn of losing a years data-- never want that to happen again!!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Ahh, that's such a relief. Thank you!!!

Even if it wasn't Toshiba, Dell are not going to contract with cheap/generic SSD manufacturers. They'll always use some sort of reliable 'name' brand..... meaning data recovery options should be available should the worst happen.

never want that to happen again!!

Then don't. External HDD, NAS, Cloud storage etc - plenty of relatively low-cost (or free, depending on volume) options to avoid data loss.

Some people like to implement routine backups of their entire system, imagine daily etc. That can be automated, but can require large amounts of storage space.