[SOLVED] Which is a good cooler for R7 3700X? my candidates are NH-u12a and Deepcool assasin 3

phoonon

Commendable
May 13, 2019
I have been having some issues finding a cpu cooler , because of it's price and stock. The other day i saw a video from "Timmy Joe PC Tech" adn he reviewed that cpu cooler vs the noctua nh-d15 and nh-u12a, the sound test were pretty good for both noctua cooler but the assasin was a bit loud and also other reviews said that it reached 50 dba , and the technical sheet says that its dba its equal or lower than 32 dba. So my questions are...

Is this a good cpu cooler?

Which other one can you rrecommend me?

Which is the average sound that a cpu cooler does?

Thanks.
Ps: i know that the title doesnt have much sense with what i am saying, but i all wanted to do it's clarify my doubts.

Solution
You'll have to look at the big picture, you can't go from specifics from spec sheets or even reviews as those tests are different. 30db(A) and 50db aren't the same thing, one could be volume in a closed case from 1 meter, the other on an open test bench at 1 foot.

It's the comparisons that mean more as those tests are the same.

And it's patently unfair to compare aios to Noctua. It's fans that make all the noise. So comparing noise ratings of a couple of the world's best silent(ish) pc fans to any other, well you are going to get obvious conclusions. Asus went one step beyond, not only partnering with asetek for the pump on their Ryojin series aios, but also Noctua for the fans (ppc industrial 2000). That's a fair comparison of aio...
Cooling is such a subjective thing, to hot, to loud to both... what case do you have and other fans intake/outake are good info, are you going to OC ?

I just got a new case an in all honesty between case fans/extra fans and GPU fans (in total 12 fans) it took me the best part of a week to find the optimum cooling /sound balance. A good person to ask if it is too loud is your partner.... if they can't hear the TV it is not great :D

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You'll have to look at the big picture, you can't go from specifics from spec sheets or even reviews as those tests are different. 30db(A) and 50db aren't the same thing, one could be volume in a closed case from 1 meter, the other on an open test bench at 1 foot.

And it's patently unfair to compare aios to Noctua. It's fans that make all the noise. So comparing noise ratings of a couple of the world's best silent(ish) pc fans to any other, well you are going to get obvious conclusions. Asus went one step beyond, not only partnering with asetek for the pump on their Ryojin series aios, but also Noctua for the fans (ppc industrial 2000). That's a fair comparison of aio to aircooler, and even the 240mm holds its own.

Solution

phoonon

Commendable
May 13, 2019

And it's patently unfair to compare aios to Noctua. It's fans that make all the noise. So comparing noise ratings of a couple of the world's best silent(ish) pc fans to any other, well you are going to get obvious conclusions. Asus went one step beyond, not only partnering with asetek for the pump on their Ryojin series aios, but also Noctua for the fans (ppc industrial 2000). That's a fair comparison of aio to aircooler, and even the 240mm holds its own.
soo, what conclusion do you get?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Overall, the installation process is very simple and straightforward. However, it is worth noting that increasing the fan height to clear our RAM took the overall height of the cooler up to 195mm from the motherboard.
With the fans in their default positions, maximum RAM clearance is 31mm.
In terms of height, the Trident Zmodules measure in at a cooler-interfering 44mm-tall.

So figure you'll have a total cooler height of something about 180mm with the Assassin III

The deepcool and NH-D15 are about on par in terms of ability and capacity, but the Noctua fans have the edge in sound. They are simply the largest aircoolers there is. The NH-U12A is expensive, smaller and almost as good, but doesn't have the capacity of the larger 2. It's closer to 180-200w. Which is still plenty, but might show some elevated temps under extreme load conditions.

Honestly, you won't go wrong with either of the 3, the largest 2 being so far beyond the 3700x output, even with OC, that the fans won't ever see 100% anyways, so those stats become severely moot.

Last edited:
Reactions: NightHawkRMX