Which is best CrossFireX graphics card to combine with ati radeon hd3100

G

I recently purchased a PC with Integrated RadeonHD 3100 Graphics on an AMD 780V / SB700 chipset (a ZT Affinity 7332Ma Desktop). This has the ATI Radeon CrossFire ability to allow a graphics card to be added that works together with the integrated graphics. I am stumped as to which is best CrossFireX graphics card to combine with Ati Radeon hd3100 integrated graphics.

Thanks.

coolwhhip

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
I recently purchased a PC with Integrated RadeonHD 3100 Graphics on an AMD 780V / SB700 chipset (a ZT Affinity 7332Ma Desktop). This has the ATI Radeon CrossFire ability to allow a graphics card to be added that works together with the integrated graphics. I am stumped as to which is best CrossFireX graphics card to combine with Ati Radeon hd3100 integrated graphics.

Thanks.

Forgive me if I am underestimating your intelligence, but I dont think you understand.

First off, integrated graphics means that a graphics processor is built into the motherboard rather than having a dedicated separate video card that goes into a PCI slot in your computer. Integrated graphics will not preform anywhere close to acceptable for gaming, and really they arent for much else.

Crossfire means running 2 graphics cards of the same model on 2 PCI slots connected by a Crossfire bridge. For instance, 2 separate Radeon 4850 512MB. You cannot crossfire 2 different cards. Meaning, you cant put in a new graphics card and expect it to crossfire with your integrated graphics.

So, the point is, go buy a new graphics card that will be compatible with your system(PCI slot, PSU quality/watts). It will be better than what you have now 9 times out of 10.

scottale

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Forgive me as I am a novice, but what happens to the integrated card when you add a discrete card. I am looking at a ZT 7334, because of the blue ray, but I play games also! shold I forgo the DVD and focus on the graphics card

scottale

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
sorry the 7334 has the Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 4200 GPU with HDMI/DVI output how is its performance compared to the discrete Radeon HD3100 Graphics + Discrete GeForce 8400GS 512MB of the Zt 7339. same question though.....what happens to the integrated card when you add a discrete card....

Only certain cards can be crossfired with ATI IGPs and they are all very low end cards. Such a setup is mainly intended for laptops.
In general if you aren't going to be gaming the HD4200 IGP should be fine on its own. If you do want to be able to run games decently the IGP is best ignored in favor of a real discrete gaming card(the 8400 GS is not one of those.)
If you tell us what you will be using the computer to do, your resolution and budget then we can recommend a proper card.