Which is best for gaming: a Phenom X4 + GTX550ti vs an i5 3570K + Quadro 2000D?

rscheetah30

Dignified
Jun 8, 2018
I've currently got an i5 3570K and an old nVidia Quadro 2000D 1GB DDR5 and I'm thinking of trading it for a Phenom X4 850 with a GTX550TI 1GB DDR5.

I would like to know which would perform better at gaming? (considering both have the same amount of ram)

Thanx in advance for any input!

PS: No, I can't have the GTX 550TI with the i5 3570K, don't ask me why.

Solution
If you live in the US and if I can find my old EVGA 550 ti 2gb I'll give it to you for free, I have 3 of them but need 2 for a budget build I'm working on. Your going to lose quite a bit of performance going from that 3570K to the X4 850 and trading to get a 50% increase in GPU performance isn't worth it.

WildCard999

Titan
If you live in the US and if I can find my old EVGA 550 ti 2gb I'll give it to you for free, I have 3 of them but need 2 for a budget build I'm working on. Your going to lose quite a bit of performance going from that 3570K to the X4 850 and trading to get a 50% increase in GPU performance isn't worth it.

Solution

rscheetah30

Dignified
Jun 8, 2018

I know I'll lose performance in general, but specifically in games will I get better fps and better details?

WildCard999

Titan

It's hard to say, some games are more CPU dependent and others are GPU, I really couldn't tell you the better setup as is. I would probably say your 3570K/2000D as you could overclock both the CPU and GPU to maximize performance.

But the offer stands, if I can find my 3rd EVGA GTX 550 ti 2gb you can have it for free if your in the US. I'll even pay for the shipping if it's cheap enough. I did that for another user when I gave them my AMD 5770 and I'd rather you get the 550 ti 2gb and keep your 3570K then having to get a worse CPU so a slightly better GPU.

rscheetah30

Dignified
Jun 8, 2018

I would love it if you would ship that 550ti 2gb for me not only for the video card itself, but also as a kind gesture from a fellow pc lover.

Unfortunately I live in Brazil, Rio de Janeiro, so unless you would be kind enough to ship it to me all the way over here, there's no way I can have it right now. If you still want to ship it to me here in Rio I would keep it as a very special gift from a dear friend though.

Cheers and thank you for your offer!

WildCard999

Titan
I just looked up shipping rates and it's around $60+ USD (cheapest at 6-22 business day shipping)...which is way more then the card is worth, sorry but that is a bit much for me to spend, especially now that I'm (gaming) system-less myself and am trying to build something decent on the cheap.

At the very least if you list your specs in detail I will try to help you overclock your CPU/GPU.

rscheetah30

Dignified
Jun 8, 2018

Thank you again for your kind offer though. As for my settings, my mobo isn't great, it's an MSI H61M-P20/W8 and my cooling on this case is pretty poor at best.Other than the cpu fan itself I don't have any other fan in the case(apart from the psu of course).
The cpu gets up to 80-90ºC during heavy gaming but I rarely play for more than a couple of hours at a time so I guess no harm no foul.

If you can find a way for me to (safely)OC my i5 on this mobo even if slightly above stock speed, I would be very grateful.

rscheetah30

Dignified
Jun 8, 2018

Officially an i5 3570K starts thermal throttling at 105ºC and I guess I exaggerated a bit, it actually reaches around 70-80ºC during heavy stress, but not under normal use where it stays at a 'normal' 38-50ºC, which isn't bad considering Brazil's hot climate and my almost non-existent cooling solution in my case.