Which is Best Method to Archive Files -keep Files Healthy as long as possible

Half_feet

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
Hello everyone,
Hope you good days..

I want to a method by which i can keep files healthy as long as possible,extend the life time for it.
I haired that with time files become broken ( how much that time?).
so i want a method to save files like for 15 years or more.Is on dvd is ok ?external HDD ?
on Internal HDD(3.5") ? which is the most reliable way?
Do I Keep files as it is ?Compress them to a ZIP or 7z archive ?
Do I need to open these files often to keep them healthy?

I hope you get the point ..
Thanks a lot in advance

Solution
how much that time?
It differs from media to media, but several years would be totally fine unless the media is very low quality.

so i want a method to save files like for 15 years or more.Is on dvd is ok ?external HDD ?
As others mentioned, no way is 100% reliable, you should have multiple copies.

Both are fine, but you can use "recovery record" function to increase safety.

No, read them will make no difference to their health. With a rewriteable media like HDD, you can copy them and delete the original files every several years, to keep the magnetic field...

th3p00r

Respectable
Sep 7, 2016
Never have your data (files) on only one backup device, I would recommend on 2 hard drives.
How big are your files? you can put them onto google drive (it gives you 15GB of free storage) and you can pay to get more storage, also dropbox. however, with cloud storage, if a business went out of business you might lost your files.

kanewolf

Titan
First thing, multiple copies. Optical media is pretty good. If you burn and compare every file on 2 or 3 disks you will have the safest data. You could also calculate CRC data for each file on the disk and save that separately. Every couple years, check the CRCs of the files. If you ever get an error, go to a backup copy, verify it and then pull the data and put on new media.

I wouldn't use zip files, because if the zip container gets corrupted, you might not get ANY of the contents. At least with individual file, you might lose one but not all.

Half_feet

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013

thank you, but data is too much

Half_feet

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013

thank you,
I really was thinking almost like that, but I seek for a low coast and long-term method
I think it may the closest way.
excuse , one more question , how to verify files by CRC ( can i use HashMyFiles)

thanks

sam1275tom

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
how much that time?
It differs from media to media, but several years would be totally fine unless the media is very low quality.

As others mentioned, no way is 100% reliable, you should have multiple copies.

Both are fine, but you can use "recovery record" function to increase safety.

No, read them will make no difference to their health. With a rewriteable media like HDD, you can copy them and delete the original files every several years, to keep the magnetic field strong; with something like DVD, you cannot do anything.

Solution

Half_feet

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013

thanks,
I got the Picture now

have good times