[SOLVED] Which is better? 2990WX vs 7980XE vs 9980XE

garyisbinary

Proper
Jul 12, 2018
First off, i want to be clear, im using this for 3d modeling & animation, 2d animation, 3d & 2d graphic work, game development in Unreal and Unity, and also gaming (AAA fps gaming). I know, at least for gaming, that these CPU's aren't the right choice, but with custom loop cooling, and stable overclocks, which would be the best option for my use?

Solution
I would say if you are gaming, the Intel isn't a bad choice. Either one. Basically the same CPU. 9980XE has a soldered heat spreader and a 200Mhz advantage. If you are overclocking, doesn't matter all that much. I would say it is easier to de-lid the 7980XE, so keep that in mind.

If you think core count is useful, then AMD is certainly cheaper and has more throughput in more tasks, but any task that likes AVX and or clock speed...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would say if you are gaming, the Intel isn't a bad choice. Either one. Basically the same CPU. 9980XE has a soldered heat spreader and a 200Mhz advantage. If you are overclocking, doesn't matter all that much. I would say it is easier to de-lid the 7980XE, so keep that in mind.

If you think core count is useful, then AMD is certainly cheaper and has more throughput in more tasks, but any task that likes AVX and or clock speed...

Solution

garyisbinary

Proper
Jul 12, 2018

after more research, ive decided to get the 7980XE and try my luck pushing an overclock of 4Ghz maybe 4.2. But i think the highest i could push it would be 3.6 without delidding it.