Which is better at multi-tasking? i3 or phenom 4 core?

sidhardtha

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Is an i3 or a phenom 4 core processer better at multi-tasking? The i3 has hyper threading also known as hyper transfer.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
The op said multitasking not multi-threaded apps. The Phenom/quad core would be better. But keep in mind some peoples definition of multitasking is very different from the next person. Some folks think running multi taps of browser while playing tunes in winamp and solitaire is multitasking. In that case any modern cpu except the atom will basically be fine. I would still opt for the phenom no matter what at this point in time though.

dkapke

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Four REAL cores are always better than two and two hyper-threaded in terms of multi-tasking. ALWAYS. Not necessarily in games or certain applications, but if you're going to be running several things at once, go with the Phenom II/Athlon II X4s.

And, FYI - Hyper-Threading and Hyper-Transfer aren't the same thing. In fact, I've never even heard Hyper-Transfer used except when referring to HTTP.

Hyperthreading should be transparent to the OS and programs - anything that can take advantage of a quad can also take advantage of a hyperthreaded dual. That having been said, the quad is a better choice unless the dual has a significant clockspeed advantage. In other words, I'd take a 3.2 GHz core i3 over a 1.8 GHz Phenom, but if the clock speeds were even remotely close, I'd get the Phenom every time.

Oh, and hyper transfer is not hyper threading. AMD has hyper transport, but that's different too.

I don't fully agree, and benchmarks will demonstrate this. Hyperthreading uses a specific set of CPU instructions. If the application in question is not able to make use of them, it will not benefit from HT.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
The op said multitasking not multi-threaded apps. The Phenom/quad core would be better. But keep in mind some peoples definition of multitasking is very different from the next person. Some folks think running multi taps of browser while playing tunes in winamp and solitaire is multitasking. In that case any modern cpu except the atom will basically be fine. I would still opt for the phenom no matter what at this point in time though.

Solution

sidhardtha

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Thank you for replying :)

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

No, it doesn't. Hyperthreading runs the same instructions on a virtual CPU core rather than a real one; only the OS needs to worry about where it assigns threads, the programs don't care.

keithlm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007

Theoretically a poorly optimized multi-threaded application, which takes less time and effort to write, will benefit the most with hyperthreading.

Other than the work needed to add the multi-threading nothing else is needed to support hyperthreading. (No specific CPU instructions.)

OTOH: well optimized multi-threaded applications will not benefit very much from hyperthreading but would definitely benefit from having more real cores; in fact having virtual cores can be detrimental to well optimized applications.