[SOLVED] Which is better for gaming/multi channel Earbuds or Headphones?

Solution
ok i worded that terribly. so gamers on twitch/youtube mostly use headphones why? i rarely if ever see them use Earbuds?
My understanding is headphones and especially open back headphones give a wider sound stage which is better for positional sound. I can say that using my AKG 712 Pro's (open back headphones) with no virtual surround sound give excellent indication of how far left or right a sound is supposedly coming from.
What do you mean by multi channel? If you mean multi driver this only applies to headphones. If you mean virtual surround sound then both only use 2 drivers.

Having got into a better audio setup I have stopped using any virtual surround sound as I notice how much better stereo sounds than virtual surround sound.

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
What do you mean by multi channel? If you mean multi driver this only applies to headphones. If you mean virtual surround sound then both only use 2 drivers.

Having got into a better audio setup I have stopped using any virtual surround sound as I notice how much better stereo sounds than virtual surround sound.

sorry kind of a noob to describing this stuff, been on a big break from this kind of tech. Thanks btw.

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021

ok i worded that terribly. so gamers on twitch/youtube mostly use headphones why? i rarely if ever see them use Earbuds?

My understanding is headphones and especially open back headphones give a wider sound stage which is better for positional sound. I can say that using my AKG 712 Pro's (open back headphones) with no virtual surround sound give excellent indication of how far left or right a sound is supposedly coming from.

Solution
It's mostly because they use headsets, i.e., headphones with a microphone. The microphones on earbuds may be finnicky, may pick up unwanted noise (e.g., brushing up against clothing), among other things. Plus given the technology, earbud microphones have limited quality.

Also it's hard to find quality wired earbuds these days. Wireless earbuds kinda suck for gaming because there can be a lot of latency.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
It's mostly because they use headsets, i.e., headphones with a microphone. The microphones on earbuds may be finnicky, may pick up unwanted noise (e.g., brushing up against clothing), among other things. Plus given the technology, earbud microphones have limited quality.

Also it's hard to find quality wired earbuds these days. Wireless earbuds kinda suck for gaming because there can be a lot of latency.
Nice wire earbuds, or at least some of the so-called IEMs especially balanced armature ones, are not all that hard to find. Though most of those are expensive with a quality set often selling for much more than the typical gaming headset.

Those usually don't come with microphone at all, either.

Multi-driver IEMs are also common, but hardly ever for much less than $100.

But no, they don't have much soundstage, which is produced by interaction of sound wave with outer ear. Any positional audio effect would have to be generated by DSP which many games are already doing.

They do usually have better isolation, are much easier on the ears, and are not nearly as sweaty in the summer heat, though.

Ah yes I am aware of these. I was thinking more along the lines of multi driver where the separate drivers are connected to a different 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound channel, for example the Razaer Tiamat 7.1.

I was given one as a Birthday present and even after buying the recommended sound card I was not impressed with the sound quality or directional sound. They are a big beast, look interesting on paper but a let down in real life IMO.
I have not used one myself, but at the same time I can't imagine a discrete driver surround headphones could deliver the same quality or sound stage as stereo ones.

Besides I think a lot of games these days have a headphone specific sound mode which to me implies they're at least trying some kind of HRTF mixing. Or at least something better than regular stereo

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
A set of quality wired earbuds, preferably with replaceable tips and cable, tends to sound better and last much longer than those without. You get what you pay for - But IMHO anything above around $200 tends to start getting snake oily for earbuds.

And like all electronics, there are plenty of reviews for those from specialized sites. Read a few of those, if interested.

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
A set of quality wired earbuds, preferably with replaceable tips and cable, tends to sound better and last much longer than those without. You get what you pay for - But IMHO anything above around $200 tends to start getting snake oily for earbuds.

And like all electronics, there are plenty of reviews for those from specialized sites. Read a few of those, if interested.
ty for the input :)