Question Which is better for gaming? Windows 98 or Windows 2000?

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017
I wanted downgrade a windows 7 PC to a windows 98 to play games and just to make it run better (since it can barely run windows 7 as its an i2), but some small research and it looks like maybe windows 2000 would run games better?

The game i want to play is the original max payne I have on disc, as well as actually having a functioning spare PC for some tiny use haha.

Which one is better? And installation instructions would be good as well
(The windows 98 SE OEM I downloaded, it's installation instructions have nothing, just the OEM download)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What specs? i2 isn't a cpu unless you mean core 2 duo. Even then Win 98/2000 won't most likely have any supporting drivers. WinXP might have support but need to check what drivers are available online for your system.

Have you tried disabling aero theme to basic in Win7? Might help quicken things.

Steam version of the game might be better optimised, have you tried seeing if redeeming works with your cd key?

If you do use Steam be aware they've stopped support for Win Vista and below.

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017
Given that Microsoft has not, to my knowledge, allowed Windows '98SE to be downloaded free of charge, it seems you're using an illicit programme. If that is the case, this thread would have to removed from the Forum.

What say you?
figure-1-v1.png

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

JayTee3

Reputable
May 9, 2017
What specs? i2 isn't a cpu unless you mean core 2 duo. Even then Win 98/2000 won't most likely have any supporting drivers. WinXP might have support but need to check what drivers are available online for your system.

Have you tried disabling aero theme to basic in Win7? Might help quicken things.

Steam version of the game might be better optimised, have you tried seeing if redeeming works with your cd key?

If you do use Steam be aware they've stopped support for Win Vista and below.

Yeah, I tried heaps of options and even tried a Virtual Machine but it just still wouldn't work, but maybe thats cause I don't have a disc drive and i was trying to make one with the ISO of the disc, and even then the steam version is updated but doesn't fully work (steam guide to fix audio and stuff) so I guess if i ever want to play it I'd have to get the steam version and do all the fixes in the guide I guess.

Thanks for your help anyway, I think I've given up and idk what I'm gonna do with that core 2 duo (yeah idk why I said i2)

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Max Payne 1 ran fine on Pentium III in 2001 and today runs fine on Windows 7 and 10 even on IGP so I'm not sure what you are asking. The disc version uses SafeDisc so you have to use a no-cd patch just like the Steam version comes with, or else a Windows 7 without KB3086255 installed. That WindowsUpdate broke SafeDisc and SecuRom support back in September 2015.

It seems shady resellers in India and Pakistan do sell Core 2 as "Core i2" but you are not going to get such a system running on Windows 9x unless it's in one of the extremely rare S775 boards using an i865 or i875 chipset on DDR1. The DDR1 helps to get the system RAM down to the usual 9x maximum of 512MB. That's plenty for the 16-bit DOS games that won't run in modern Windows.

Unlike Windows XP from 2002, Windows 2000 was not intended for playing games. It does allow for more RAM and will use more than one processor core, just like NT before it. For games that are less than 20 years old like Max Payne, XP is what you want.

Anything from Core 2 to Sandy Bridge on Z67 can triple-boot XP, Win 7 and 64-bit Win 10 with full driver support (Ivy Bridge can too if you are not using the IGP).