[SOLVED] Which is better - GTX 1660 Ti, RTX 2060 or Radeon Vega 64

Sep 7, 2019
I want to build a pc with Ryzen 5 3600/3600X. Which graphics card will be the best and won't bottleneck neck the CPU among RTX 2060, GTX 1660 Ti or Radeon Vega 64? I'm a budget builder and the price should be account. But if the performance is noticeable, maybe I don't really consider the price. And also please can anyone tell me which is better between HBM2 in Vega 64 ang GDDR6? Will I notice the difference in gaming and some light work in 3Ds Max?

Solution
And also please can anyone tell me which is better between HBM2 in Vega 64 ang GDDR6? Will I notice the difference in gaming and some light work in 3Ds Max?

First of all, get the RTX 2060 GPU, if possible.

Anyways, both GDDR6 and HBM2 are made in a different way, and they excel in different areas, and enterprises. For example, the high bandwidth of HBM2 is ideal in situations such as AI and advanced computing, HPC, Compute. This is why we’re seeing it in data center GPUs, such as Nvidia’s Tesla V100, where the cost is less important.

On the other hand, GDDR6 can offer a lot of the same performance, albeit with higher power requirements, but at a lower price. This makes it much more accessible for the everyday user...
And also please can anyone tell me which is better between HBM2 in Vega 64 ang GDDR6? Will I notice the difference in gaming and some light work in 3Ds Max?

Anyways, both GDDR6 and HBM2 are made in a different way, and they excel in different areas, and enterprises. For example, the high bandwidth of HBM2 is ideal in situations such as AI and advanced computing, HPC, Compute. This is why we’re seeing it in data center GPUs, such as Nvidia’s Tesla V100, where the cost is less important.

On the other hand, GDDR6 can offer a lot of the same performance, albeit with higher power requirements, but at a lower price. This makes it much more accessible for the everyday user, hence we’re seeing it in commercial consumer graphics cards.

As far as GAMING is concerned, both types of memory found their way in gaming graphics cards as of late.

However, we cannot say that one type of memory is better than another for gaming because there are a lot of other factors that come into play. Things such as bus width, base clock, and boost clock all matter, and you can find graphics cards with identical memory types performing differently from one another due to other factors being different. There is one advantage that HBM2 has here, even with the higher cost. The fact that it has a lot more bandwidth means that you’ll get better performance and less latency.

Reactions: Zorina
Solution
Sep 7, 2019

On the other hand, GDDR6 can offer a lot of the same performance, albeit with higher power requirements, but at a lower price. This makes it much more accessible for the everyday user, hence we’re seeing it in commercial consumer graphics cards.

As far as GAMING is concerned, both types of memory found their way in gaming graphics cards as of late.

However, we cannot say that one type of memory is better than another for gaming because there are a lot of other factors that come into play. Things such as bus width, base clock, and boost clock all matter, and you can find graphics cards with identical memory types performing differently from one another due to other factors being different. There is one advantage that HBM2 has here, even with the higher cost. The fact that it has a lot more bandwidth means that you’ll get better performance and less latency.

Hey Metal,
Thanks for the reply

I have another question..
Firstly I apologise for my poor English..

In the graphics card specs what does this mean?

"Power
  • Connector: 8+8Pin👈
  • Power: 500W or Above"
Will any PSU support that pin? Is there any other pin other than 8+8Pin? Or should I search for PSU that have 8+8pin connector? Or will I need an adaptor or something like that? I heard some graphics card having 6+8 or something other than that? Will every PSU support every pin in graphics card?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
In the graphics card specs what does this mean?

"Power
  • Connector: 8+8Pin👈
  • Power: 500W or Above"
Will any PSU support that pin? Is there any other pin other than 8+8Pin? Or should I search for PSU that have 8+8pin connector? Or will I need an adaptor or something like that? I heard some graphics card having 6+8 or something other than that? Will every PSU support every pin in graphics card?

Those are the PCI-E power cables for any GPU. Only PCI-E cable will fit, not other cables from the PSU. Any High-end and good Quality PSUs will have enough PCI-E connectors, 6-PIN or 8-PIN for any GPU.

Lower end entry level PSUs may lack such support. Not all power supplies are made equal. Which POWER SUPPLY do you actually have ? If there are no pci-e cables, then you need to buy a compatible PSU. These cables are required.

0XXJuyA.jpg

Sep 7, 2019
Those are the PCI-E power cables for any GPU. Only PCI-E cable will fit, not other cables from the PSU. Any High-end and good Quality PSUs will have enough PCI-E connectors, 6-PIN or 8-PIN for any GPU.

Lower end entry level PSUs may lack such support. Not all power supplies are made equal. Which POWER SUPPLY do you actually have ? If there are no pci-e cables, then you need to buy a compatible PSU. These cables are required.

0XXJuyA.jpg
By now I don't actually have any PSU.. I'm about to build only.. I'm very blind because this is my first time and I don't have any experience. I spent months researching but till now I don't have any clear choice. Can you please tell me which PSU calculators are reliable? Different PSU calculators gave me different results.. some said 263, some suggested me >500W. Can you please suggest me a good budget PSU?

My specs are:

Ryzen 5 3600
B450 Tomahawk Max/B450 gaming plus Max
16Gb RAM >3000MHz
500Gb SATA 2.5"/M.2 SATA/NVMe SSD
2Tb HDD
Nvidia GTX 1660Ti/2060

Any other suggestions you think I might need would be appreciated very much.

Plus, I will be glad if you can tell me about RAM timings. Some said it's not only about higher clock speed, timings is important. I have no idea what RAM timings is. And what is C16, C14 or something like that listed in the RAM specs?

Sorry for asking too many questions LoL!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Lets be clear. In terms of raw performance the Vega 64 is the fastest of your original choices.

That said I don't recommend it. It will BEAT UP your PSU, you need to spend extra to get a higher end and higher wattage one. The RX 5700 XT is faster and lighter on the PSU, the RX 5700 is around the same and also doesn't need as much of a PSU.

At the price point of the RTX 2060 you are better off with the RX 5700XT. It is as fast as a RTX 2070 and the only thing you lose is the ray tracing, which TBH is almost useless on that card.

If you want to save money the RX 5700 is cheaper than the RTX 2060 and just as fast.

I"m not sure about any PSU calculator though. I don't think these are 100% accurate ? Anyways, both the clock speed and timings are important, and RYZEN CPUs hugely benefit from a faster clocked RAM kit.

Timings also matter, but you won't notice that much of a difference.

Because of timings, two memory modules with the same theoretical maximum transfer rate can achieve different performance levels. Why is this possible if both are running at the same clock rate?

Because timings measure the time the memory chip delays doing something internally. Here is an example. Consider the most famous parameter, which is called CAS Latency (or CL or “access time”) that tells us how many clock cycles the memory module will delay in returning data requested by the CPU.

A memory module with a CL 9 will delay nine clock cycles to deliver a requested data, whereas a memory module with a CL 7 will delay seven clock cycles to deliver it. While both modules may run at the same clock rate, the second one will be faster, as it will deliver data sooner than the first one. This issue is known as “latency.”

These memory timings are given through a series of numbers; for instance, 4-4-4-8, 5-5-5-15, 7-7-7-21, or 9-9-9-24. These numbers indicate the amount of clock cycles that it takes the memory to perform a certain operation. The smaller the number, the faster the memory.

Official theoretical description.
  • CL: CAS Latency. The time it takes between a command having been sent to the memory and when it begins to reply to it. It is the time it takes between the processor asking for some data from the memory and then returning it.
    [*]tRCD: RAS to CAS Delay. The time it takes between the activation of the line (RAS) and the column (CAS) where the data are stored in the matrix.
    [*]tRP: RAS Precharge. The time it takes between disabling the access to a line of data and the beginning of the access to another line of data.
    [*]tRAS: Active to Precharge Delay. How long the memory has to wait until the next access to the memory can be initiated.
    [*]CMD: Command Rate. The time it takes between the memory chip having been activated and when the first command may be sent to the memory. Sometimes this value is not announced. It usually is T1 (1 clock cycle) or T2 (2 clock cycles).

Sep 7, 2019
I am just saying for similar price, RX5700 is much more powerful. I even saw it was 250 once in a micro center. Anyway, it is your call :) Amongg those three, I will get 2060.

Hey Vapour

The cost is very high in here (Amazon.in)
As a budget builder, will it be wiser to go for the more cheaper Radeon RX 580 as my monitor is an AMD free-sync? Because in the Amazon.in,
Asus Radeon Vega 64 cost 942 USD
MSI Radeon Vega 56 cost 725 USD..
Asus Radeon 5700 is at around 409 USD
And the XT variant of Asus cost 559 USD

I think i really can't afford these. Maybe the import tax is very high in India with addition of Value added tax.

Asus RTX 2060 cost $507 USD
MSI GTX 1660 Ti cost $409.
What do you think is the best choice according to the price? What is the best value for money among these? Will I go for Nvidia graphics card and not utilise AMD free-sync?

Thanks in advance

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

This is the same price or cheaper than your choices:

And you can use Freesync which is cheaper (although most freesync monitors work with Gsync now), and its as fast of not faster than the 2060 for $100 less.

I'm confused as to the issue here.

Sep 7, 2019
Lets be clear. In terms of raw performance the Vega 64 is the fastest of your original choices.

That said I don't recommend it. It will BEAT UP your PSU, you need to spend extra to get a higher end and higher wattage one. The RX 5700 XT is faster and lighter on the PSU, the RX 5700 is around the same and also doesn't need as much of a PSU.

At the price point of the RTX 2060 you are better off with the RX 5700XT. It is as fast as a RTX 2070 and the only thing you lose is the ray tracing, which TBH is almost useless on that card.

If you want to save money the RX 5700 is cheaper than the RTX 2060 and just as fast.

Thanks for the reply

The price is very much different here in the Amazon.in than Amazon.com/.uk. Maybe because of higher tax, price reduction also doesn't necessarily affect the dealers in here.

Please scroll down below to my answer to 'Vapour' and can you please give me a suggestion? My budget is around 1k USD, 1.2K at most for CPU.

And feel free to give me any other information or advice related to PC build. As a first time novice builder, I would appreciated very much

Thanks in advance

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Thanks for the reply

The price is very much different here in the Amazon.in than Amazon.com/.uk. Maybe because of higher tax, price reduction also doesn't necessarily affect the dealers in here.

Please scroll down below to my answer to 'Vapour' and can you please give me a suggestion? My budget is around 1k USD, 1.2K at most for CPU.

And feel free to give me any other information or advice related to PC build. As a first time novice builder, I would appreciated very much

Thanks in advance

I replied already regarding the prices. Please let me know what you think.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
my monitor is only ultra wide 1080p (2560x1080) and its refresh rate is only 60Hz.

As a budget builder, will it be wiser to go for the more cheaper Radeon RX 580 as my monitor is an AMD free-sync? Because in the Amazon.in,
Asus Radeon Vega 64 cost 942 USD
MSI Radeon Vega 56 cost 725 USD..
And the XT variant of Asus cost 559 USD

What do you think is the best choice according to the price? What is the best value for money among these? Will I go for Nvidia graphics card and not utilise AMD free-sync?

Nvidia 10-, 16-, and 20- series cards allow for FreeSync.

Am I missing some information? It looks like the Asus Radeon 5700 and the MSI GTX 1660Ti both cost the same here, and are the lowest-priced cards in the list.

Since they are both the same price, and the 5700 performs much better, I would suggest the Radeon 5700. It is overkill for your resolution and refresh rate, but having the lowest price AND the highest performance of all cards in this list make it the logical choice.

An RX 580 is possible - how much is it where you are, and what is the FreeSync range of your monitor?

Reactions: Rogue Leader
Sep 7, 2019
Can you share the entire budget for the build and your major usage/requirements? Will try to pull a list for you.

My budget is around 1k, 1.2k USD at most only for CPU build (means excluding monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse). I will use it for gaming some eSports (upcoming FIFA 2020, PES 2020), GTA 5 (and maybe upcoming GTA 6), AutoCAD and some light work in 3Ds Max. The cost of GPU which I mentioned before in the Amazon.in is very high.. but some private enterprise and dealers in some sites sell it very affordable (maybe about 5 - 20% or much more) less comparing to Amazon.in. But I'm not sure they are reliable. And their courier service do not cover where I live, so they could send it through post office. In case I get a damaged or defective or false product, it would be pain to exchange it, maybe it will take too long or even more like impossible. I'm very confused. Will it be wiser to buy a pre-built PC? Can I get the same specs or performance compared to the PC which I will build myself?

Thanks in advance