Which is better i7 7700k or i7 8700k ?

May 15, 2018
Hello guys ,

I am upgrading my CPU and I wanna ask your opinion.
I've read some threads with a lot of different opinions on which cpu is better.

Mainly I use my pc for gaming , sometimes rendering videos (not to often tho) , some photoshop and that's basicly it .

Which CPU do you think I should buy and why?

Solution
If money is no issue, the 8700K all the way... Fantastic CPU for Gaming, currently the best at gaming and more than good enough for your use case of some rendereing and it does very well across the Adobe suite...Oh and it overclocks like a beast! good cooling required though...Hits 5GHz with ease but I have it running at 4.9GHz for 24/7 use at 1.32v with a 360 AIO..(not delidded) Others seem to be able to get 5GHz at lower vcore but unfortuanatly not me....

XxDarkMarioxX

Respectable
Dec 25, 2016
If you switch to the 8700k that means you have to buy an new MB to but if you already have an MB that supports 7Gen then go with 7700k its good for gaming and to be fair both off the CPU works good for gaming!

May 15, 2018

That still doesn't tells me if it's worth upgrading to a 8700k.
I have to buy a new MB anyway cause I have right now AMD .

If money is no issue, the 8700K all the way... Fantastic CPU for Gaming, currently the best at gaming and more than good enough for your use case of some rendereing and it does very well across the Adobe suite...Oh and it overclocks like a beast! good cooling required though...Hits 5GHz with ease but I have it running at 4.9GHz for 24/7 use at 1.32v with a 360 AIO..(not delidded) Others seem to be able to get 5GHz at lower vcore but unfortuanatly not me....

Solution

He did tell you that most would want to consider if they already have a 7700K-compatible motherboard or not, but you apparently did not 'get it'.

8700K is faster. But, for a hypothetical scenario, even if you already had a nice Z270 motherboard and an i5-7400, now you need a new MB for the 8700K as well...adding a quick $150-$160 to the expense column.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Which is why you supply all the relevant information at the start rather than in dribs and drabs after someone gives an answer you find unhelpful because of information they didn't have because you didn't give it to them.