Which is better the Seagate Firecuda Gaming SSHD 1tb 2.5mm or Western Digital Black 2.5mm 1tb?

Zombie_hunter99

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
Hi Guys I was wondering if the Western Digital Black or the Seagate Firecuda Gaming SSHD is better for gaming. I currently have a 500 gb Seagate hard drive in my Alienware 13 R2 Laptop. I think it is SSHD drive. Thanks you, hope you guys can help me.

Solution

Da3m0na

Honorable
Feb 26, 2014
The will be no difference in terms of FPS. Only in loading times. Gaming HDD/SSD sounds ridiculous. SSHD's are faster than the HDD's. I would suggest you to get a separate SSD for the OS, and HDD for everything else. But if I have to choose only between these 2, I would go definitely for SSHD, just because of the boot and loading times(way faster than any HDD).

Hi, Official Seagate Forums Team here. We noticed you're considering a Seagate FireCuda for your gaming needs, so just wanted to say thank you for considering us, and please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions. Happy Zombie hunting!

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications
SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications
BarraCuda Drives for PC and Gaming

Zombie_hunter99

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

According to www.wdc.com the Western Digital Black has as Dual processors for twice the processing power "Proven Mechanical Architecture" for better reliability better reliability, and "NoTouch Ramp Load Technology" which makes the it so that the drives head does not touch the disk media. You can read more about it here: https://www.wdc.com/products/internal-storage/wd-black-mobile.html#WD10JPLX .Despite all of these things is the Firecuda still better. I currently Have the Seagate 500GB Gaming SSHD in my laptop. Do you know if the Firecuda drive uses more energy than this drive because my laptop does not have the best battery life and I do not want to have worse battery life if I decide to get the Firecuda drive?

Zombie_hunter99

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

I currently Have in my laptop the Seagate 500GB Gaming SSHD. Here it is on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Gaming-2-5-Inch-Internal-ST500LM000/dp/B00B99JU5M . Do you know if the Firecuda drive uses more energy than this drive because my laptop does not have the best battery life and I do not want to have worse battery life if I decide to get the Firecuda drive?

This is a good question, and power management for laptops is definitely a big deal! Sorry that it took a bit of time for us to get back to you here. From the spec sheets which can be found here for the ST500LM000 and here for the Seagate FireCuda.

The ST500LM000 drive specs for seek power averages 2.5W and idle at 0.9W.

The FireCuda laptop drives spec at 1.0 Startup Current, seek power averages at 1.7/1.8 for the 2TB edition and 1.6/1.7 for the 1TB and 500GB editions. The average idle power is 0.5 for the 2TB and 0.45 for the 1TB and 500GB editions.

So there definitely have been some significant engineering improvements as far as reducing how much power the FireCuda drive uses. It's funny sometimes how tech works, you'd think tech capability innovations would make things bigger and require more power, but oftentimes they increase the capabilities while maintaining size/requirements or even somehow becoming smaller.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications
SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications
BarraCuda Drives for PC and Gaming

Solution