Which is better vid encoding Stock AMD FX-9590 vs. i7-5960X OCed to 4.2

LeftyInSpades13

Distinguished
May 29, 2012
Hello everyone, I'll try to make this short.

Every 3 years I buy a new main rig.
This year it's between a stock AMD FX-9590 running 4.7 and 5.0 turbo and a company OCed to 4.2 i7-5960X .

Now, price is not a concern. Both will be running on about the best I can find or get for them, within reason anyway.
AMD build:
AMD mobo will be an ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AMD 990 ATX
AMD RAM 32 GB DDR3/2133MHz Corsair Vengeance
1TB Samsung 850 PRO Series
AMD Radeon R9 295X2

Intel build
i7 mobo will be ASUS ROG X99 Rampage V Extreme ATX
i7 RAM 32 GB DDR4/2800MHz Corsair Vengeance
1TB Samsung 850 PRO Series
AMD Radeon R9 295X2

The cooling will be;
XSPC RayStorm CPU Block,Dual D5 Pump & Reservoir,AX360 Radiator with 6 fans in Push/Pull

I left out all the internal storage and other stuff except the main drive that everything will be done on, apps & warez wise. With that said, I haven't played games since the early 90s so I don't care in the slightest how great this or that is for gaming, but I am a big media enthusiast.

It seems most of the bench-marking and performance tests I keep finding for these things are game oriented or professional oriented in fields in which I have no interest or basically software isolated testing, that I don't personally understand their application to what I do.

What I would like to know, is the real life application for what I do between these two builds. Simply, between these two which will be able to better and faster handle encoding on Handbrake, couple or few browsers open with a couple hundred tabs, Administrating a website, having a media player running and something like an XMPP chat running, all at the same time?

If possible, I would like reasonable support for your recommendations or conclusions, so that maybe I can further educate myself, not the typical fanboy reply about [insert manufacturer] is bestestest.

Thnx for any help.

Solution
D
I unselected the best answer for you.

As you should see in the Anandtech benchmarks I linked to above the AMD chip does not even come close to the 5960X. In all honesty the 5930k while only having 6 cores, has a higher clock speed and might be a better choice unless you are doing truly massively multithreaded tasks.

FX 9590 vs i7 5930k

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1289?vs=1316

5960X vs 5930k. As you can see the cheaper 6 core chip is actually faster than the 8 core flagship in applications that make use of speed more than thread count.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1317?vs=1316

If you don't game and just need a card to display UHD resolution there is no reason to buy a card designed to play games on those...
D

Deleted member 217926

Either way buying an R9 295X should not even be an option with the release of Maxwell. 2 GTX 970s in Sli come within 5% at the highest resolutions and beat it by a mile at lower resolutions for $660. If you really need more performance add a third 970 or go with 2 x 980s. Maxwell also has extremely high compute scores and beats AMD there as well if that's what you are after.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_970_SLI/20.html

And AMD released those insanely clocked processors to compete with normal i5 and i7 chips from Intel. The LGA 2011 CPUs are in a class by themselves.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1289?vs=1317

D

Deleted member 217926

I know! The most amazing part is these GPUs are designed to replace GK 104 or the GTX 680/770. The big Maxwell GM 200 will be based on the new 20nm process and be out early next year. Those are the replacements for GK 110 or the GTX 780/780 Ti. Nvidia wasn't even aiming these at people with GK 110.

AMD needs the aliens to come down and give them the secrets to a card powered by dark matter or some other unobtanium or they are in serious trouble for the foreseeable future. :lol:

I'm keeping my overclocked 780 for now. I game at 1920 x 1080 and it lets me max everything so far. Next year might be expensive though. I'm waiting for DDR4 to get a little more reasonable before I finally upgrade the 2600k. I can't believe how well it has held up. I got it in Jan 2011 the month it was released. So next year will be LGA 2011 and big Maxwell for me most likely.

LeftyInSpades13

Distinguished
May 29, 2012
@GhislainG and @anort3

Gfx cards mean squat to me really. I just went with the R9 295X, because it has UHD capabilities and output, since I just recently bought a big 84 inch Bravia UHD TV.

Those tests posted I've seen in passing, but I would like to get some input on multitasking as I listed. I mean I will often let things encode when I'm gone or sleeping, but my biggest concern is how it will impact all the things running, when they are all running at the same time. Standalone scores, don't really mean much to me. Currently I have a AMD Phenom II X6 1100T OCed to 4.0 and a i7-4770K OCed to 4.5, and the thing I noticed is they can't really handle my kind of multitasking really well. That's the biggest reason I'm really trying to look into this before I dedicate myself to a new set-up.

DubbleClick

Admirable
Well, this probably not really what you are looking for, but as I'm about to go sleep, I'll keep it short.

With budget being no concern, the choice is on the 5960x for sure.

For one: Newer technology available to you (M.2 SSD, you might want to look for one) more PCIe lanes than you could use, DDR4 ram (well, less of a reason) and new instruction sets. Intel quicksync, vt-d, etc. etc. etc.
But those mostlikely aren't as important to you as the following.

The 5960x is multiple times stronger than the 9590 fx at everything, while drawing less power even. The 9590 competes with an I5 4690k on 4.6ghz in multi core workloads, but utterly fails to I3's in single thread performance. To reach performance of a 2.8ghz intel core, amd needs 2 cores (1 module) at about 5.2ghz.
Now, any I7 haswell beats the 9590 on anything already, being 4 cores with hyperthreading.
The I7 5960x is an 8 core with hyperthreading, on a higher bandwith platform with faster memory. The cpu has vastly more cache as well.

Its performance compared to the 9590 fx is about as good as your current 4770k's performance compared to the phenoms. Even more, in multi core workloads.

LeftyInSpades13

Distinguished
May 29, 2012
Since you're a mod, anort3, if I may ask, I accidentally had a brainspaz and clicked the problem solved or solution button instead of the reply button on the post to which I was trying to reply. I know that sounds retarded, but I've been up for a couple days now taking care of some things, so my faculties aren't at full capacity. Is there any way to fix this?

D

Deleted member 217926

I unselected the best answer for you.

As you should see in the Anandtech benchmarks I linked to above the AMD chip does not even come close to the 5960X. In all honesty the 5930k while only having 6 cores, has a higher clock speed and might be a better choice unless you are doing truly massively multithreaded tasks.

FX 9590 vs i7 5930k

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1289?vs=1316

5960X vs 5930k. As you can see the cheaper 6 core chip is actually faster than the 8 core flagship in applications that make use of speed more than thread count.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1317?vs=1316

If you don't game and just need a card to display UHD resolution there is no reason to buy a card designed to play games on those resolutions. I would pick up a single GTX 970 or 980. If you want gaming capability at UHD then 2 x GTX 980s will give you better performance than an R9 295X while running much cooler and using much less power. 2 x GTX 970s come very close ( within 5% ) for $660. The law of diminishing returns in full effect.

Solution

LeftyInSpades13

Distinguished
May 29, 2012

Thnx for that and..

Problem is, there's an instant $1000 rebate on the R9 295X, putting it at like just over $600, since I'm getting this rig as prebuild to get a full 3 year warranty on labour and parts. I hate dealing with RMAs, I blow it up I can have it fixed in less than a week, not waiting on RMA processing and other garbage. I don't wanna waste a day or two slapping this big thing together (that huge cooling system too) and everything else, especially since I'll be doing it mostly lefty, since I lost my right hand in a car accident. I'm going to waste enough time wiring it into my home entertainment system, plus tweaking the OC settings, since the warranty even includes me blowing the CPU and RAM with OCing once. As far as my ignorance can tell though, for the price, that R9 295X is the way to go.

What it really all comes down to is speed and running several apps at the same time, with heavy resource thirsty encoding in the back ground, plus things like 24/7 torrenting as well as DL/Upl to server hosts and editing a stream site 100 times a day; so by what I've been told here so far, and those tests, it seems the i7-5960X is the way to go. You're suggestion of the 5930K is good, but that's comparing factory core clocks, and considering it's the same Haswell-E architecture the OC on either should be within similar limits, right? So by my logic, the same CPU with 6 cores OCed around 4.2 to 4.5 won't be as good as the same CPU with 8 cores OCed to 4.2 to 4.5. I mean, that's my logic, unless I'm missing something.

Plus what else I was wondering, do I possibly need 32 GB of RAM? I mean, my current rig has 16GB and the most I've ever eaten up of it is like 9 GB. I've heard a lot of things about a bunch of extra RAM actually slowing things down, or being bad or something like that. Is there any truth to this?

Edit: I just looked at the pricing, the EVGA Superclocked NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB GDDR5 is 100 cheaper and considering my media player seems to like Nvidia Cuvid and Intel Quicksync, a LOT more than DXVA2, I'll go with that, since you say it can output 4K UHD. That's why I went with the R9 295X, I thought it was the only one that had UHD capabilities. I don't need it for games, because what it's used for is 24, 30 or 60 FPS media only.

Side-note, sorry a little off topic, have you ever heard of any way to crack a Gfx card OS to make it decode Hi10P, Hi444P and H.265? The decoders exist, I have 3 media players that use them. I mean the cards can decode H/X264, the Hi10P and Hi444P at least are the same encoding algorithm with just 10-bit 4:2:0 and 10-bit 4:4:4 added.

D

Deleted member 217926

With encoding as your primary use the 8 core is indeed the way to go. I honestly have not read much on overclocking Haswell E but I assume the 6 core would probably overclock higher just due to heat. If you are buying prebuilt and it's sold overclocked then I would go with whatever they are telling you the clocks will be. You will benefit from the extra cores/threads more than clock speed with your stated usage.

32Gb of RAM is probably overkill. But in your case I would probably go with it. LGA 2011 supports quad channel memory so it certainly will not slow you down. You are correct in that some older systems were slowed a bit by running that much but that was back when 32GB was the absolute maximum any boards or CPUs supported and memory controllers were not as advanced as they are now. The Haswell memory controller ( they are on the CPU now not the motherboard ) is known to be quite good and it benefits for the fastest RAM you can throw at it.

The GTX 980 supports up to 5760 x 1080 and is the first Nvidia card to do so ( well the 970 does too I think but there were released the same day ). Just curious, what is the resolution on that TV? I'll bet it looks great.

Sorry, but I'm the wrong person to ask about encoding and decoding. I just don't have much experience with it other than some basic, entry level stuff

LeftyInSpades13

Distinguished
May 29, 2012
When I said UHD, I meant 4K UHD as in 4096x2160, which is what my Bravia can display and that's what the digital output is on the 980 with analog at 2048x1536. Those are actually the same specs as the R9, much to my surprise. I didn't actually check the specs, just from reading around, I kept seeing R9 UHD, UHD, UHD... so I figured it was the first or only. At this point I'm just kinda actually going with the GTX 980, cuz it looks nicer. The R9 is red and my system is going to be blue. I know, stupid of me, but kinda like I said, not being a gamer, it's not something about which I would waste much time educating myself, which is counter intuitive regardless.

I also, possibly even erroneously, believe that my PC gfx card will upscale better than my TV, but I'll play with that and see at a later date. I mean, even all this was impulse retardation on my part, because when all is said or done, out of the 12TB of encoded media I have, barely only 10%, if even that much, which to be honest, is most likely no where near, of it is true native 1080p and not just company upscaled for Bluray release, 480 or 720 Masters. It'll be a long, very long time, before there's true native 4K media, at least in my realm of media. What it basically comes down to and what I'm wondering is which will upscale better between the card and TV, while if possibly they'll help each other, for final presentation.

As far as heat goes, and in the range I want to overclock isn't that rather large cooling system I'm getting more than sufficient? I mean at the OC they supply, which is in the approximate range of 40%, the reviews from people that bought this rig, says idle around 26-28C and with all cores maxed out it runs at 51-52C. I'm kind of thinking a 24/7 4.4 to even 4.5Ghz clock seems reasonable on the 5960X.

Anyway, thnx for all your help and if anyone is interested, this is the build I'm ordering:

AZZA Fusion 4000 Super Tower w/ Dual System & Power Supply Support, USB 3.0, EZ Swap HDD
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG X99 Rampage V Extreme ATX w/Wi-Fi 802.11 AC 2.4/5 GHz, Dual Intel GbE LAN, 4x Gen3 PCIe x16, 1 PCIe x4,1x M.2, 10x SATA 6Gb/s
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-5960X Extreme Edition Eight-Core 3.00GHz 20MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011-V3
Ultimate Overclock
Case Fans: Enermax TB Silence UCTB14 140mm Performance Cooling with Low Noise Profile Fan
COOLING: Xtreme Hydro II 360mm Liquid Cooling w/ XSPC RayStorm CPU Block, Dual D5 Pump, AX360 Radiator, Ultimate Performance+Extreme Silence at 18dBA (6 x Enermax Enlobal Silent High Performance 120MM Fans (Push-Pull)
COOLANT: High-Performance Coolant powered by Koolance
MEMORY: 32GB (8GBx4) DDR4/2800MHz Quad Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance LPX)
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer
HDD: 1TB Samsung 850 PRO Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 550MB/s Read & 520MB/s Write (Single Drive)
HDD2: 2TB (2TBx1) Western Digital Caviar Black SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
SOUND: Creative Sound Blaster ZXR 5.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCIe Sound Card w/SNR 124dB, DBPro optical output, Multi-channel surround, SBX Pro Studio, Sound Core3D Processor & Audio Control Modul
LG 16X Internal Blu-ray Burner, BD-RE, DVD+RW Combo Drive
VIDEO:EVGA Superclocked NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (Maxwell)
POWERSUPPLY: 1,000 Watts - Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 with 80 PLUS Silver, Semi-Modular Cables Power Supply
OPTI-UPS TS2250B 2000VA/1200W 5 Outlet Uninterruptible Power Supply

Also, why getting such a big monster of a tower, with only 2 drives? All the other 8 slots for drives are already spoken for and the separate section for the home server application. :pt1cable:
Persoinally I don't even want to know what that thing is going to weigh, when just the empty case is 42 pounds.:heink:

DubbleClick

Admirable
More than you would like it to. You may want to pay attention to one more thing.

As the pc will be prebuilt, there will already be distilled water (coolerant) inside. If that leaks, it blows up the whole thing if you plug in power.
So to not have that happen, you should order them to deliver the pc to your door at least. From then on, just carry it carefully and make sure the top of the pc is always at top (bad explanation, I'm still lacking some english vocabulary).

Good luck that everything goes smooth and the pc fulfills your needs.

@anort3, I have one question myself and opening a new thread for it, aside it doesn't fit in any forum section, would be too much.
Since about a month after I joined tom's hardware, I suddenly became able to select and unselect solutions in any topic, despite (to my knowledge)not being a moderator.
Not that I mind or use it much, I once unselected and reselected an answer just as I was curious if it would work. But all that doesn't help the question, why am I able to?

LeftyInSpades13

Distinguished
May 29, 2012
@DubbleClick,
thnx, but this is my 3rd prebuilt I've ordered with Liq cooling, so I know. Also it's not just distilled water, it's a water reduced ethylene glycol mix or basically car antifreeze that lowers freezing and raises boiling points, with w/e surfactants, anti-corrosives and antibiotics they put in (never quite understood that anti-Bio thing, because if you got crap growing in your PC, maybe a little cleaning around the house should take priority over cooling your PC). LOL! It has a freeze temp at -15C and I've never noticed the boiling points on PC coolant, but at -15C freezing, the boiling point should be right close to 200C. Regardless though, if leaking were to happen, it would be covered by the full 3 year warranty on parts and labor I got. I actually asked about that on the last build I bought from them. :D

@anort3
I would like to thank you about urging me to go with the 980 so much. What had happened was it actually came down between the R9 or Titan, not 980. I went with the R9 because of the UHD stuff I saw plastered everywhere and with my faulty logic; radiator, 2 GPUs, top price, must be gooood. Duuuuh...

Plus it was on sale. Also, since this rig comes with a 1000 watt power source, I thought, might as well put it to use. Then you mentioned the 980 so much, I looked back and confused it with the Titan, which turned out as lucky, since the 980 in all the tests and ratings I found is quite a bit better and faster than the Titan in most respects. So again thnx.

mdocod

Distinguished
Hint:

The fixed function decoder capabilities of a GPU are typically identical across entire product families, sometimes, they are even the same across multiple families depending on the situation:

Example: The GT520 has the same fixed function hardware video decoder as a TITAN BLACK.

The GT520 typically isn't configured with a 4K capable output, but the decoder is the same, so the same high bandwidth decoder limits can be used for higher quality and or higher FPS decoding at a lower resolution.

AMD GPUs, are OFTEN configured with 4K capable outputs, but none of them have 4K hardware accelerated video decoding. Having the ability to produce a 4K output is not the same as having the ability to decode a 4K video, these are separate functions. Some cards can do one but not the other, some can do both.

D

Deleted member 217926

Glad to help! :)

Now let me help one more time. Don't get a Coolermaster power supply. Not unless it's the 'V' series. The rest are middling to junk in quality. A build like that deserves a quality power supply. I know your options will be limited because you are buying prebuilt but try and stick with tier 2 and up on this list.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

I like big cases myself. I had an Antec 1200 I thought was big before I got this NZXT Phantom 820. The 820 is almost what you would call a super tower. Great case. NZXT quality is impressive.

@DubbleClick, as of the last forum software overhaul about a year and a half ago anyone with 5 best answers can select or change the best answer in a thread. This was done mostly to ensure that the real best answer is the one picked in a thread and to reduce the number of threads left unsolved. It improves the overall quality of the forums and helps us with google page view metrics. We ask that if the OP selects a best answer or a mod has selected the best answer it be left alone. We also try and give a reasonable amount of time for a thread starter to pick their own best answer.

LeftyInSpades13

Distinguished
May 29, 2012
@anort3
Power supplies are prolly what I have read about or know the least, aside from the uninterrupted PSUs. No joke, I've had a new PC every 1-3 years since about 87-88 and I have never had a Power Supply fry or fail, so I just figured, w/e they supply is good. My only logic for my last 5 or so rigs, was just over shoot my power need by about 1/3. Anyway, this is what I have to choose from, any suggestion is appreciated:

http://oi57.tinypic.com/288vynl.jpg

@mdocod
Almost all hardware decoding is the same, for the most part. I mean as far as I'm concerned, which is in the video realm, not gaming realm, i.e. MPEG1 / MPEG2PS / MPEG2TS / AVCHD / MP4Part1 / MP4Part2 / AVI(XVID) / AVI(MotionJpeg) / MOV / WMV / MKV / WEBM / 3GPP / MP3 / WMA / LPCM / JPEG / MPO or in simpler terms, basically H/X.262, H/X.263, H/X.264. In the simplest terms, pretty much Xvid, DivX and H/X.264. The problem is, in my realm simple H/X.264 MKV has been pretty much dead for the better part of 4 years, with Hi10P, Hi444P taking over while now H/X.265 HVEC is starting to get really hot. I'm not sure if you remember or even cared, but back when H/X.264 MKV took over from Xvid AVI, it was revolutionary. The introduction of Hi10P was nice because you could get rid of a lot of compression artifacts, banding, haloing and so on much easier, but it was nothing ground breaking. H.265 though, is kinda like the jump from AVI to MKV. Only thing is, it took hardware almost a decade to get up to speed and start decoding it as a standard. I don't imagine Hi10P or Hi444P will ever be hardware decoded, but I at least have some prayers that H/X.265 won't take that long to be hardware decoded, since it was officially announced that it was going to be the new format for DVD/Bluray taking the place of H.264. Yes, software decoding is ALWAYS better than hardware decoding, the problem is to properly decode a good high-end, aggressive, Hi10P 1080p, with 5.1 FLAC you pretty much need at least a Dualcore running at 3.0 or better, which Digital Media Players generally don't have, plus the GPU can't decode Hi10P H/X.264 or H/X.265, so that's why I was wondering if there's ways to crack proprietary hardware OSs in gfx cards to introduce BETTER decoders. Plus I would like to see how one of these big ass gfx cards handles like a 1080p Hi10P or H.265 encode if it had the right decoders.
Ooops, sorry for the off topic tangent.

D

Deleted member 217926

I'm sort of a power supply geek :)

That's a tough one. You need a 550-600w power supply for that system. The really good units I see are way overpowered for your needs. My first instinct is to tell you to get the Seasonic X 850 but it's more than you need. CoolerMaster has the V series based on the Seasonic X platform but in another case of CoolerMaster mismarketing the also have the V series semi modular made by Enhance Electronics. These units score very well in testing but Enhance is not Seasonic.

Ok, you want the best get the Seasonic X.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/04/04/seasonic_xseries_x850_power_supply_review/9#.VB88JBZ0a_E

You want to save some money and still get a very good unit get the Coolermaster V 650 semi modular.

http://hardocp.com/article/2014/07/24/cooler_master_v650s_650w_power_supply_review/9#.VB87NhZ0a_E

The units available to you on that page I would trust in a high end build.

Corsair AXi ( Flextronics made ) = Seasonic Platinum = EVGA SuperNova 80 Plus Gold ( SuperFlower made ) = Seasonic X > everything else.

The X 850 would allow you plenty of headroom to add a second GTX 980 if you ever felt the need.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

LeftyInSpades13

Distinguished
May 29, 2012
Wait, when you say overpowered, that's as is, but it's going to have at least another 6-8 drives stuck into it and prolly have all the slots filled within 6 months. I'm not even really sure how many slots is has in all, either 10 or 12, but that tower is most certainly not going to have just 2 drives in it. I'm also talking to some friends to see if I can integrate my cable box decoder memory card into a TV tuner/decoder/capture card too.

From what you're suggesting I'm thinking either SeaSonic X Series X-850 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply or SeaSonic Platinum-1000 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

D

Deleted member 217926

Hard drives use 7-8 watts each at full draw. An SSD uses about a single watt. Tuner cards are also fairly low power. If it's a PCI card then maybe 10 watts. A 550-600w power supply would still be sufficient for your system although as I said above I would go with a minimum 650 watts just for extra overclocking headroom. So my above recommendations stand.

Just saw your edit. The Seasonic X is a great choice with upgrade headroom. The Seasonic Platinum is also a great unit maybe slightly better than the X series electrically ( when I say better the X is a 9.95 and the Platinum is a 10 )but 1000 watts is crazy for your system. 850 watts is approaching crazy. I wish they offered more quality units in the lower wattage range. The Seasonic Platinum 660 that I have would be perfect for your build.

LeftyInSpades13

Distinguished
May 29, 2012
Then why on god's green earth would that thing just come standard with a 1000W power supply? For like nut-tier gamers trying to shove 4 gfx cards in it or something? That didn't even dawn on me, but yeah, I'm buying another "gaming" rig, so I should kind of expect that. Kinda sux that my gaming days ended back around the days of NES Donkey Kong Jr. and the first generation of Sim City on Win 3.0. :p LMAO!

Welp, looks like I'm going to go with the SeaSonic X Series X-850 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply, cuz it has 10 SATA plugs, which will cover all the drives I wanna stick into it. Anything under that in Wattage, that they offer which is 2nd tier or better or recommended by you have only 8 or less SATA, which won't really cut it. I know they have SATA power plug splitters because I've used them before, but I've always been somewhat apprehensive about that. It's kinda funny that you brought something to my attention, because I was actually starting to look at the 1200, 1500 and 1600 watt PSUs, just cuz I like the names platinum and titanium. The way I was going, I would have wound up being able to plug an Arc Welder into my PC. LOL!

D

Deleted member 217926

Hey I've been gaming since Pong in the late 70s so just because you aren't 15 anymore doesn't mean you can't game! In fact the average age of a gamer is 31 and according to google there are more gamers over 36 than between 18 and 36 or under 18. I fit in that over 36 category myself.

I believe they wanted to ship an older lower end 1000w PSU with that unit because they likely got a great deal on a bulk purchase of them and that would be the unit they make the most money off of. I prefer to spend my money on the exact parts I want and need so that's why I've been building my own since about 1998.

LeftyInSpades13

Distinguished
May 29, 2012
Naw, I have nothing against gamers. I mean, I just gave up on gaming, back in the early 90's when I went to college, because of my OCD tendencies. I wish I could game now, but having lost my right hand, asking around, hey are there any cool games I can play lefty, most people are like noooot really. Plus I've been outta the loop so long, all the kiddies on my site will often post new game PVs, and all I can say is damn, that looks good, what possible Anime is that, which I don't recognize? They just giggle a little and move on.

As for building PC's, well... I've been a passionate gear-head since early childhood and my father thought it would be a good idea to give me a YX80 mini-bike when I was just 6 years old. Even after losing my right hand racing, I can still slap together a 600 HP SB V8 or 4C Boxer in 4 day weekend, buuuut with just one good hand and a tweaked cam myoelectric prosthetic that can crush beer bottles, I can swap out parts, not build a PC from scratch, especially these new beasts coming out, with hoses, pumps, liquid, etc.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you again for your help.