[SOLVED] which is better

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
so i was thinking about getting a 3rd gen build but i found there is good x58 deals in my area

so which is better xeon x5670 4.5 ghz or i7 3770 stock
and will a hyper 212 evo be enough to overclock it to 4.5 ghz

thanks in advance

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
Your point is relevant, but I really have a hard time believing that cheap cpu cooler out performes the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B. The scythe cooler is for the most part on par (within 2 degrees celcius) of the Noctua NHU12S which is a $60 cpu cooler. The deep cool is $19.99 on Newegg and i'm going to buy one to test with, because if your source is accurate, that would mean the $20 Deep Cool CPU cooler's performance is close the the Noctua NHU12S and I simply cannot believe it until I see it.

@thekillerx10 every stock cooler I've used with both sandybridge and devils canyon, under full load just barely kept the processor from throttling at 90+c. Your boost clocks will be affected negatively due to thermal throttling, if ambient temperature or case ventilation isn't reasonable. If I don't recommend a $20 aftermarket cpu cooler, what makes you think i'm going to recommend it's own stock cooler?
what about ivy bridge processors i7 or the xeon is the stock cooler enough for them?