which is great for gaming

sankalpsoumya17

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017
i have a confusion between which parts i shall choose for my gaming pc.
shall a take a ryzen 5 1500x along with rx 580(8gb) or intel i5 7600k with gtx 1060(6gb)?

Solution
if you are going to be choosing soon then go with the ryzen but with intel coffeelake coming out soon the i5 8600K may turn out to the the better one for gaming and would be as futureproof as ryzen
If possible, try to get a Ryzen 5 1600, even if you have to go with something like an RX 580 4 GB for it. Ryzen 5 1600 will be much more future-proof for gaming. You can also mix the two - Ryzen+ GTX 1060. But I'd definitely go with the Ryzen CPU, an either of the GPU is fine. Do note that RX 580 has inflated price right now, so you'll have to wait if you want to buy it at normal prices. Otherwise, just get a GTX 1060 6 GB, it'll be just as good.

And, in case you don't know, yes you can mix an AMD motherboard with an Nvidia GPU, there are no problems there.

MrPhishy

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015
Ryzen is cheaper but not meant for gaming. Meant for multi threaded apps. Get an Intel processor, rather a Kaby Lake or CoffeeLake. I have a 4th gen i5 and it's perfect. Does everything I need. If you are really tight on a budget, grab a Ryzen processor.

Are you doing video production, animation, editing, streaming, etc?

Recommendation: Intel is the way to go for gaming and all around day-to-day use. Only get Ryzen if you literally have no other choice.

Phishy

If you want to go with Intel, wait for Coffee Lake - 7th gen Intel processors are something I would really avoid now for gaming, due to the fact that they are quad core chips, and would soon become entry-level for gaming. Either get a Ryzen processor, or wait for Coffee Lake and get an 8th gen Intel processor, but don't go with any 7th gen processor. Also, this bias that 'Ryzen isn't for gaming' is completely wrong, the difference between an Intel chip and a Ryzen chip is of 20 FPS at the most, and most of the times it much, much lesser than that. And this difference is between a mid-range Ryzen CPU and the high-end i7 7700K. So Ryzen will give you great gaming performance for much, much less money, and is hence a better value processor.

And a Ryzen CPU is not a last resort CPU - they are excellent gaming chips, unless you are mad about each and every FPS your PC can get. For 60 Hz, I'd get a Ryzen processor even if an Intel chip was available, because of the better value of Ryzen as well as future-proofing.

when Z370 boards will be released they will most likely be the same price as Z270 boards when they were released. you can always save on money by buying a non overclockable board like a H370 board and upgrade to a Z series board down the road