Which is more beneficial

N0rbert

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
So I'm building a new computer come this spring with Vista 64 and I need to know which set of memory will be better suited to what I want to do (mainly gaming along the lines of wow, css, etc, mostly older games). I will be using a e8400 cd2 and a 4850 512. My question is would 4gigs of 1066 be more beneficial than 8 gigs of 800? I will not be overclocking the ram but may oc the cpu once I get a better cooler. Thanks for the input!

I would start out with 4 gigs (2x2gb sticks) and see if your pc performs well. Some boards won't run stable with all 4 memory slots filled; you'll just have to try it and see what happens. Check the motherboard's manufacturer's website and see if any 1066 memory is recommended. Remember also that all 1066 memory that I know of will require you to increase the voltage manually at the first post by entering the bios. Be sure you know what the voltage specs are for your memory and motherboard bios before ordering. You can download the board manual and check the specs in about 5 minutes, and look for tested memory at the motherboard website; this will save you alot of grief.