[SOLVED] Which is quieter a 7200 or 5400 rpm HDD

fobos8

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
Hi guys
I need to get some fairly large internal storage. Have been looking at Barracuda and the Pro version. Which will be quieter? assuming both mounted the same etc. The Pros sping at 7200rpm the normals spin at 5400rpm.
Cheers, Andrew

Solution
Generally, 5400RPM drives can be a little quieter, as the platters are spinning 25% slower. However, there are other things that can potentially affect that too, such as how many platters a particular drive uses, and whether the drive docks and undocks the read-write heads at idle, which can potentially make a clicking sound when that happens. Some sites used to review hard drive noise, but I think that's become less common as SSDs have become viable as a silent solution suitable for most tasks outside of bulk storage.

How a drive is mounted can also have a significant effect on noise. If your case has rubber dampers to attach the drive to within its cage, that should be quieter than if it's screwed directly into the metal cage, as...

fobos8

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
I'm only bothered about idle noise. I'm just keeping infrequently access files on there.
I've read that the Barracuda Pros can make an annoying idle noise - would like to know if the standard Barracudas do the same.

Before you tell me to get a NAS and put in another room - I already have one. I just want to keep a second copy of some files on my PC.

fobos8

Commendable
Nov 30, 2019
thanks guys.
I've read in several places that the Pro Baracuda HDDs click and chirk on idle. I wondered if this was a rule or an exception, and if I might be better off with normal Baracuda.

Generally, 5400RPM drives can be a little quieter, as the platters are spinning 25% slower. However, there are other things that can potentially affect that too, such as how many platters a particular drive uses, and whether the drive docks and undocks the read-write heads at idle, which can potentially make a clicking sound when that happens. Some sites used to review hard drive noise, but I think that's become less common as SSDs have become viable as a silent solution suitable for most tasks outside of bulk storage.

How a drive is mounted can also have a significant effect on noise. If your case has rubber dampers to attach the drive to within its cage, that should be quieter than if it's screwed directly into the metal cage, as that can cause any sound that generated to reverberate though the case.

Solution