which is the best compatible mitherboard with i7 4770k.

jjabs

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014
Hlo , i want to buy a i7 4770k. Can anyone suggest me which is the best compatible motherboard with i7 4770k in these three motherboards, intel b85, gigabyte h87-d3h and gigabyte h87m-d3h. And what is the difference between the h87m and 87. Thanks

Solution
Most Intel CPUs are 'locked', meaning the factory specifies what speed they run at, and that's as fast as it can go. This is shown as eg. i7-4770. An 'unlocked' CPU has an open modifier, so it is able to be 'overclocked' to a faster speed than what the factory sets it at. This is shown by the 'K' designation eg. i7-4770K. An 'unlocked' i7-4770K usually costs more than its 'locked' version.

So, overclock or not?

The other consideration is the motherboard. Just as most Intel CPUs are locked, so too are the boards themselves. To overclock requires a motherboard that is built much heavier duty, more power phases, better components, stronger heatsinks. These 'oc capable' boards are designated 'Z' as in Z87. Regular boards designed for...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
the i7-4770k is an unlocked cpu, meant for overclocking. Your choice of motherboards being B85, H87 atx, and H87 matx, makes no sense as none of the boards will enable overclocking. Basically you are spending extra money for a cpu you cannot use fully. If you intend to use one of the above boards then choose a locked cpu such as i7-4770 or Xeon v3 1230 which will be cheaper but perform the same. If you do intend to overclock you will need a Z87 designated motherboard.

The difference between the H87 and H87m is size. The H87 is a full sized ATX board, the H87m is a 1/2 sized mATX board meant for much smaller cases. Being smaller it generally has fewer pcie slots, fewer usb slots, fewer fan headers etc, but physically will perform the same. You just can't plug as much stuff into it, so options like SLI or Crossfire, even 32Gb of Ram are not available on some boards.

jjabs

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014
Karadjgne thanx for the advice. But what is the meaning of 4770k is an unlocked cpu. Suggest me the right cpu and motherboard for 3d modeling and gaming. I have a nvidia 9600gt graphics card and 500 watts psu. Is 500 watts enough for i7 processor, its copatible motherboard, 9600gt nvidia my current graphics card. I dont want to change graphics card now.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most Intel CPUs are 'locked', meaning the factory specifies what speed they run at, and that's as fast as it can go. This is shown as eg. i7-4770. An 'unlocked' CPU has an open modifier, so it is able to be 'overclocked' to a faster speed than what the factory sets it at. This is shown by the 'K' designation eg. i7-4770K. An 'unlocked' i7-4770K usually costs more than its 'locked' version.

So, overclock or not?

The other consideration is the motherboard. Just as most Intel CPUs are locked, so too are the boards themselves. To overclock requires a motherboard that is built much heavier duty, more power phases, better components, stronger heatsinks. These 'oc capable' boards are designated 'Z' as in Z87. Regular boards designed for 'locked' CPUs are not as heavy duty, because they don't have to be. These are designated 'H' as in H87. B85 boards are built primarily for Business PC's , so while mostly built the same as 'H' boards, they also tend to include pata ports, serial ports etc, that connect to stuff you usually find in offices.

So, if OC is a yes, you will need a 'K' CPU and a 'Z' motherboard. If OC is a no, then a non-'k' CPU and 'H' board is a much cheaper option

[PCPartPicker part list](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zNjJmG) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zNjJmG/by_merchant/)

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i74790k) | $339.98 @ SuperBiiz
**Motherboard** | [Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97hd3) | $102.92 @ Amazon
| | **Total** shipping
| Prices include g, taxes, and discounts when available | $442.90

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.90 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $349.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Solution