Which is the best drive?

Jd

Damon wrote:
> Western Digital 120 GB
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-118&depa=0
>
> OR
>
> Seagate 120 GB
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=22-148-022&depa=0
>

> It will be running in a removable HD rack. Does one run hotter? TIA

I use four of the western digital hard drives your link points to they
are the same capacity and model (WD120JB) they are in a home server
which is never turned off I can honestly say they are good hard drives
as for the heat issue I have never noticed them heating up however all
four drives are in Coolermaster CoolDrive3 enclosures.

Whenever I buy hard drives I always buy WD ones Ive never been let down
yet I even have an old 13GB hard drive (6yrs+ old) which is in constant
use.

But do consider that the Seagate has Shock protection and an extra 2yrs
Warranty (Seagate 5yrs, WD 3yrs warranty)

I have on 4 Gb Maxtor that works fine and had one 200Gb Maxtor that was
faulty in 8 months of use.
Now is use a Seagate barracuda 7200 that has 5 years of warraty I dont
expect to use it. Also had on 10Gb WD that gave the "click noise of death".

S.

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 22:13:55 -0500, "Damon" <yadda@yadda.com>
wrote:

>Western Digital 120 GB
>
>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-118&depa=0
>
>OR
>
>Seagate 120 GB
>
>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=22-148-022&depa=0
>

>It will be running in a removable HD rack. Does one run hotter? TIA

You're comparing pretty similar drives, shouldn't make much
difference. At same price the Seagate seems more desireable
due to longer warranty yet you might find (either) a little
cheaper... for example this week Best Buy, OfficeMax and
Circuit City all have deals on Western Digital 120-200GB
drives, IIRC.