Which is the best driver for radeon HD4870 windows 7

lenny89

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
I,m getting alot of artifacts and some crashes on my win 7 running far cry2. Slowing the GPU clock using ccc ver. 2009.0914 from 750 to 500 seemed to help a little, still has the same
problem. Any ideas anyone?

dannoddd

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I'd first make sure you're on the very latest drivers from AMD. They do have 11.11 out.

Next make sure you've got all the patches for Far Cry 2 installed. This game is buggy as all get out. Lots of problems, but the patches fix most of them.

Next try it in another game at the default clocks, see if it's just Far Cry 2 crashing, or every game.

If it's every game, it's probably the card, if it's only Far Cry 2 it's either the game or the driver.

lenny89

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I know my driver is out of date-9.0, but the last time I updated itto 10.something, ccc wouldn't work. I haven't tried patching far cry.

dechy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
I have 2 XFX 4870s in crossfire and using 11.11. I too at some point started having artifacts and quickly found out my card were overheating in games because the automatic fan control didn't seem to kick in fast enough.

I turned on ATI overdrive in the drivers and put the fan control at 35% for both, but recently I've had to bring it up to 40% 'cause the games are so friggin demanding.

Yeah, it's loud as hell, but in my basement when the house heating system kicks in, I don't hear them as much... just have to crack up the volume a bit.

I'd definitely install the latest drivers, enable AMD overdrive in CCC but don't change any settings yet, leave GPU & memory settings @ stock and run a game and watch the temps, if they shoot up fast past 85-90C, enable manual fan control and force it to 35-40%. That's if you have dual monitors, 'cause as soon as you alt-tab, temps drop down quick and might skew it all.

For single monitor, download HWMonitor from CPUID, it will record the max temp in the background, as soon as you see artifacts alt-tab to HWMonitor and see what the max was, if it's low (like under 75C), then you're having other issues; video on its last breath or not getting enough power from the PSU.