[SOLVED] Which is the best enclosure for nuc and a 1050ti? External graphics

Jan 25, 2019
Hello,

i would like to connect a nuc to a gtx 1050ti. And i would like to do it as nice as possible because i would like to have it in a case.

nuc: https://www.amazon.de/Intel-BOXNUC7...ie=UTF8&qid=1550086140&sr=8-5&keywords=nuc+i5

For now i was always thinking i would do that with an EXP GDC BEAST 9.0b, but it is rather expensive (100 eur). And i have also heard that beast doesnt support 1050ti. So i am asking if i should rather go with an ADT R43SR (which has no additional power required,17 eur) or an bulkier version R43SG (which requires massive power, i suppose because of more 32gb bandwith,100eur).

Please keep in mind that the card 1050ti mini receives all power from the motherboard.

My nucs board does have a spare m.2 slot.

Sincerely,

Rok.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
You would definitely need an adapter/enclosure that draws its power from an external PSU.

Edit: Just noticed all the adapters you mentioned are designed to connect to M.2 slots. Are you planning on using the M.2 slot inside the NUC, necessitating leaving the NUC case open all the time? The NUC has an external thunderbolt 3 connector, that's definitely the best thing to use if you really want to do this.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019
Hello,

first of all i would like to thank you for responding to this thread.

I want to add a little more power to the nuc board using an external gpu. Just a little experiment.

I understand that the graphics card needs power in order to run, i will supply this power with some sort of external PSU which will have sufficient wattage.

There are different adapters in the market right now.
One requires 24 pin cpu and also 8(not sure about that number) pin to power the card. That is the following adapter: R43SG (this adapter has the best bandwidth).
Some require only 8 pin for card to operate ; EXP GDC BEAST.
And then theres ADT R43SR. Which has the best signal and thus prefered over EXP GDC BEAST.

I do not know where does ADT R43SR draw power from (there were some hints of sata 3).

TJ HOOKER: can u explain how can i connect a graphics card to nuc via thunderbolt 3.

Rok

Jan 25, 2019
Yes i was talking about the second link which has many pins for power.

I think i will just go on through with EXP GDC BEAST. Because i know it worked for some people and because there is a lot more information regarding implementation on egpu.

Connecting through tb3 is indeed more expensive and a lot bulkier.

Can i just ask you if you know if the amazon link to nuc sells a barebones kit.

Rok

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Do you really want to have to leave the case open with a ribbon cable hanging out though?

From what I can tell the EXP GDC only has half the bandwidth of the other options. Not really sure though, can't find any decent english links that describe its specs.