Which is the best for me? Z370

Tigris55lev

Commendable
May 6, 2016
Im upgrading my pc to a i5 8600K but i dont know which Mobo is the best for me.
I was thinking about MSI Z370 TOMAHAWK and GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 5, but im not sure which to get.
My budget i about €200.
Any recommendations?

Solution

Choice of motherboard really depends on your personal needs, the features that you want, and the connectivity/ports you will use.

Comparing the two aforementioned mobos (Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 and Msi Z370 Tomahawk), the better motherboard, specs-for-specs, would definitely be the Gaming 5 (vs the Tomahawk). The Gaming 5 has better VRM MOSFETs (ON Semi vs UBIQ), has better chokes and capacitors, better audio codec (ALC1220 vs ALC892), has a pre-installed Wi-Fi module (vs...

Choice of motherboard really depends on your personal needs, the features that you want, and the connectivity/ports you will use.

Comparing the two aforementioned mobos (Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 and Msi Z370 Tomahawk), the better motherboard, specs-for-specs, would definitely be the Gaming 5 (vs the Tomahawk). The Gaming 5 has better VRM MOSFETs (ON Semi vs UBIQ), has better chokes and capacitors, better audio codec (ALC1220 vs ALC892), has a pre-installed Wi-Fi module (vs none), has more M.2 slots (3 vs 2), has better bandwidth on its 3x PCIe x16 slots (x16/-/x4 or x8/x8/x4 vs x16/x4/x1) which means it can support 2-way Nvidia SLI or 3-way AMD CrossFire (vs 2-way AMD CrossFire only), better DIMM slot reinforcement (vs none), has a 2-digit Display Code LED (vs none), has full I/O and audio shroud/cover (vs I/O only), and has more fan headers (8 vs 6).

However, if you want to hit better price/performance for that budget, I would highly suggest the Asrock Z370 Extreme4 instead of the two you are considering. The Extreme4 uses higher quality MOSFETs (integrated driver/FETs), higher quality chokes and Japanese 12K black capacitors, more "true" power phases (5 vs 4), more SATA ports (8 vs 6), optional Wi-Fi slot, and has similar features with the Gaming 5 such as ALC1220 audio codec, PCIe x16 slot support for multi-GPU, etc., for much less the price.

Both the Gaming 5 and the Extreme4 are considered high-end boards (with the Extreme4 costing less), while the Tomahawk is considered a mainstream board only.

Solution

Tigris55lev

Commendable
May 6, 2016

Thank you so much! The new RTX cards will fit in any of these?

bDoDDleS

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016

Right now I've narrowed down my choice to these 2 boards (Extreme4 and Gaming 5). Your advice here is the Extreme4 is the better buy due to lower price, but on Amazon right now the Extreme4 is only $6 less. So with prices basically the same right now, is the Extreme4 the way to go or go with the Gaming 5?

My needs would be basically getting the 8600k and overclock it some, not gonna go hardcore with it, and the added Wifi could be useful in the future, but not right now. Also Audio, have 58x headphones so wanna get the best audio with it without buying a separate DAC (could get one in future but right now wanna use on-board sound). So, any advice would be lovely.

Even if the Extreme4 costs a little bit higher than the Gaming 5, specs-for-specs, the Extreme4 is the better buy due to the reasons I have outlined above (higher quality MOSFETs, chokes and capacitors, more true power phases, more SATA ports).

Only features that the Gaming 5 have more of (vs Extreme4) are: Fan Headers (8 vs 5), RGB LED Strip Headers (4 vs 1), Total USB Ports (8 vs 6), M.2 Slots (3 vs 2), Wi-Fi (built-in vs optional/upgradable), and DIMM slot reinforcement.

Since all of the above features are not your priority, I'd go for the Extreme4.

bDoDDleS

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016

Perfect. This is what I needed. Someone just to come out and tell me. Thanks

TRENDING THREADS