[SOLVED] Which is the best internet set-up (Router + Extender or Two Wifi 6 Asus Routers)

Jun 2, 2021
So, I recently purchased a TP Link AV2000 powerline adapter ($89) + Asus RT-Ax92U Wi-Fi 6 ($229) router from Microcenter. The powerline adapter is utter trash showing 50mb, which is utterly unacceptable for downloading big files and gaming on my pc… (Please be advised a Moca set-up won’t work due to the coaxial cable being on the other side of my room that I can't get too)

So, I have two internet set-up options that I can choose since I can exchange both products back to microcenter before return period is over.

ASUS Rapture GT-AX11000 (On sale @ MicroCenter for $349) + NightHawk Ax8 Wifi Extender (Can get used for $50 on Facebook marketplace)

Or

Asus RT-Ax92U Aimesh system

Solution
Doesn't the PS5 already have a wiif in it.
You need a pair of moca devices. The ones that tend to be the most liked are made by gocoax and cost about $60 each on amazon. These can actually get full gigabit speeds.

You would put a moca unit by the main router, a second moca unit in your room and connect that to a router running as a AP. You would then need a wifi card or the extender on the end devices.
I guess which do you spend more time doing, download files or playing games.

Wifi will likely be faster than your powerline, that is much slower than most people get, but you wifi also gets random latency spikes. It depends what type of games you play. Games that are multiplayer online will get random lag spikes.

Maybe a combination would be to use MOCA and then shoot it across the room with wifi. The signal should be so strong that it can overpower interference from outside your house.

Jun 2, 2021
Hi bill001g

So, what your suggesting is the following that I’m thinking about..

Exchange The Asus RT – Ax92u + Powerline adapter @ Microcenter for the following set-up…

Asus Rapture GT-Ax11000 (since it’s on sale @ Microcenter for $329 is an excellent deal)
Plus
Nighthawk ® AX8 WiFi Mesh Extender, 6Gbps (used on Facebook for $50, since the coaxial cord is by the TV I can put it there with combination of Moca)

The PS5 will be connected via ethernet cord to the Wi-Fi extender connected to a Moca right… I download programs on my pc and game on ps5.. Do I need a Moca cord for my router and one for my room?

Doesn't the PS5 already have a wiif in it.
You need a pair of moca devices. The ones that tend to be the most liked are made by gocoax and cost about $60 each on amazon. These can actually get full gigabit speeds.

You would put a moca unit by the main router, a second moca unit in your room and connect that to a router running as a AP. You would then need a wifi card or the extender on the end devices.

Solution
Jun 2, 2021
So, I exchange my Asus RT-AX92u + TP Link Powerline back to Micro center for the Asus Rapture Router.... Find a used Wi-Fi 6 router that has AP mode support, purchase two MOCA adapters running one in the Asus rapture and other in the Wifi 6 router in my room...

Based on your suggestions I do following
Asus Rapture GT-Ax11000 connected to Moca
Plus
TP-Link Wi-Fi 6 (Archer AX50) in AP mode connected to Moca

PC Bulid
Ryzen 9 5950x on Gigabyte x570 mobo
Intel 211 onboard Ethernet + Gigabyte 6E Wifi Card
64GB DDR4 Ram @ 3200MHZ
Rx 5700 XT
1TB SSD + 8TB hard Drive

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2021
It's probably best to run it along the baseboard for a cleaner look. You can get a raceway that you can paint over and it doesn't look too bad. If your baseboard is already white, it's mostly blend right in without painting.
https://www.amazon.com/D-Line-Raceway-1D3015W-Electrical-Paintable/dp/B077YD9DG6

Due to a family members passing late last year, I'm living in my parents home until further notice so what your recommending isn't going to work... Since the coax cable is on the other side of the room by my huge dresser attaching a coax cable to moca to asus RT ax92u to have separate Wi-Fi in my room would work..