Which is the best long range wifi usb adapter for pen testing specially long range access points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsh Rind

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2014
I am a bit confused between these two

Alfa Long-Range Dual-Band AC1200 Wireless USB 3.0 Wi-Fi Adapter W/2x 5dBi External Antennas - 2.4GHz 300Mbps / 5Ghz 867Mbps - 802.11ac & A, B, G, N

Netis WF2116 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter

which of these is the best choice for my work ? and if there is anything better than these please suggest it....

Solution
I would stay away from no-brand devices, warranties tend to be crap, and driver support spotty at best. Stick to regular ones like netgear, linksys, etc and you'll be happier for it.

mercadion

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
Dont get hung up on the N portion of all of that if your after a long range adapter as chances are youll be running on B or G. Download a wireless utility to see what your connection might be like. Netspot works great. Basically, if your connection is over -40 with what you have then a dual band or an N adaptor isnt going to help you much.

More importantly, adaptors that focus on range dont have dual band specifically because it doesnt focus its power for range. I would recommend https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YD7UBQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2LM6ZPY06LT1N&psc=1. Unless your going for 100s of feet then this will do it for you wonderfully. If you are close enough that your router wont kill your N functionality then this will pick that up as well.

Its a little bit more than the alfa you have picked out, but I recommend this one because I KNOW its a real alfa with a REAL atheros chipset. I have questions about the step down amazon has AWUS036NH , https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YIFHJY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3JEFL6YEQZ1FM, as these are the models that have been copied the most...and there have been confirmed cases of generic chipsets coming from amazon in this model number.

Status
Not open for further replies.