Which is the best video card set up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

attackdog

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hello,
I am wondering which is the best set up out of the options I have, I have never used two video cards in one pc before. I can either have 2 x 550 Ti 1gb or 2x amd radeon 6750 1gb or 2x 6850

My system will be Asetek liquid cooling, gigabyte ga-990fxa motherboard 8gb ddr3 corsair AMD fx-8150 8core @ 3.60 GHZ

thanks

attackdog

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

Ok thanks. Looks like I will probably be leaving the AMD route and going for the Intel. I take it that the i7-2600 isn't worth the price jump for what it offers?

When it comes to building a pc I know what needs to go where and how to put them in. But I suffer from this thing called what-if's, you know like what if I eff this up or what if I put it in to hard and break something. So I would just rather bite the bullet and pay for it to get done.

Now if there is someone near Orlando that can build one with dual cards for that price let me know lol.

I had close to zero experience with building a PC and I did it rather easily with the help of everyone on this forum.If you've had experience taking things out and putting things in it should be even easier for you.If your really worried about breaking something I can understand that but you loose a lot of performance money buying a compete PC.

I don't really understand the encoding that much but it seems to me that it only affects one category and if that's true then I can't really justify paying the extra money for the 2600k if this PC is also for gaming.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8150-zambezi-bulldozer-990fx,3043-17.html

attackdog

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I'm looking at Tigerdirect now to see how much a build is, as there is a store close to me. Would feel better if building a pc if I can pick the parts up rather than have them bounce around in a truck or have some clown not take care of the packages.

What size psu should I look at to run 2 560's 750+?

Also is liquid cooling needed or would a good amount of fans do just as good?

So this is what I came up with with parts from TigerDirect, if anything sounds wrong please let me know so I can change it.

Motherboard Intel DP67BGB3 Desktop Extreme Board - ATX, Socket H2 (LGA1155), Intel P67 Express, DDR3 1600MHz, RAID, SATA 6.0 Gb/s, CrossFire/SLI Ready, 10-Channel HD Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0

CPU Intel Core i5-2500K BX80623I52500 Unlocked Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 1MB L2 Cache, 3.30 GHz (3.70 GHz Max Turbo), Socket H2 (LGA1155), 95W, Fan, Retail

Case NZXT Guardian 921 RB Red Mid Tower Computer Case - Silent Cooling, ATX, Micro ATX, Baby AT, Steel, Red-Blue

Memory Kingston HyperX Blu HS 8GB (2x 4GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, 240-pin DIMM, 9-9-9-27 CAS Latency, 1.5V, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, Intel XMP Ready

Power Supply Cooler Master RS850-AMBAJ3-US Silent Pro M 850W Power Supply - ATX, Modular, 850 Watt, 80+ Bronze Certified, SLI, 135mm Ultra Silent Fan

Video Card Galaxy 56NGH6HS3KXZ GeForce GTX 560 Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), 2x Dual-Link DVI-I, 1x Mini-HDMI, DirectX 11, Dual-Slot, SLI Ready two of these.

These are all parts that are available in the TG store closest to me.

attackdog

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

Well I have never built my own so choosing a motherboard comes down to a couple of things for me. Most of the reviews of boards I have seen Gigabyte seem to be a good brand, but the store near me doesn't stock them. They do stock Asus but again reviews of them people say the boards suck and went with gigabyte. I did look at MSI but like I said I am really going from reviews, and I figure if Intel make a good chip why would it be different with a board.

If you can suggest a better make one with enough slots for 2 cards and a sound card, though the sound card doesn't really matter I have one laying around so I figured I can use it as I already have 5.1 speakers.

Why don't you ask your local TigerDirect store to help you with building it.I'm sure they can/will order the parts you need to their store.

The problem with that Intel board is that it doesn't look like it has very good cooling for the chipsets.Which may be a problem for overclocking and lifespan.

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P
Corsair 8GB DDR3-1600mhz
CM Storm Trooper
Corsair 750watt
MSI Twin Frozr III 6950

Ask that store about getting you those items.