SciaTion

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2015
I'm looking at choosing between the Docsis 3.1 cable modem, Arris SB8200 and the Netgear CM1200. Both are very similar, though on Amazon the Netgear CM1200 is $50 more, but also has 3x the amount of customers rating it. Even though the overall rating between the two is nearly identical. I just want to make certain the new cable modem I purchase is reliable and dependable.

Any on advice on which I should go with?

Solution
They likely are exactly the same. Cable modems are pretty simplistic devices. They follow docsis standards and pretty much that is their only function to convert from docsis based signals to ethernet.

Neither company actually makes the chips inside the box. They both run broadcom 3390 chips I am pretty sure so they should be pretty much the same.

You ISP also needs to actually use docsis 3.1 or it will just drop back to the older 3.0 and run no faster than cheaper devices.

SciaTion

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2015
OK, I appreciate the interest and heads up about the ISP. With that said, can we please get back to my original question. I'm requesting advice between the two cable modems, the Arris SB8200 and the Netgear CM1200.

On a side note, yes, I will check with the ISP to see if they have restrictions. For now, those reading this, please just assume that both cable modems good with my ISP, which cable modem is adviced and why do you suggest one over the other.

Generally the smaller the ISP the more restrictive the list. The modems can only have the firmware updated by the ISP so they tend to not want to support large numbers of different devices.

They likely are exactly the same. Cable modems are pretty simplistic devices. They follow docsis standards and pretty much that is their only function to convert from docsis based signals to ethernet.

Neither company actually makes the chips inside the box. They both run broadcom 3390 chips I am pretty sure so they should be pretty much the same.

You ISP also needs to actually use docsis 3.1 or it will just drop back to the older 3.0 and run no faster than cheaper devices.

Solution