[SOLVED] Which is the fastest SSD upgrade for a asus-vivobook-s550cb-cj176h

boesgard

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
Hi all you clewer people.
I would like to upgrade my 1TB HDD to a fast SSD drive, but what is the fastest SSD compatible with the hardware on a asus-vivobook-s550cb-cj176h? Can it only support a SATA drive or can I gain any speed by utilizing a PCIe adopter?

If I can us a PCIe solution, would it then be worth the investment compared to a SATA driver (considering the rest of the "old" hardware. Hence board etc.)

Please advice and discuss

Solution
A 2.5" SATA III SSD is your best and only option.
An adapter for a PCIe drive wouldn't be any better (even if one did exist), because its still going through the same interface.
And, as you note, the rest of the system is pretty slow as it is.

Samsung 860 EVO or Crucial MX500.

USAFRet

Titan
An adapter for a PCIe drive wouldn't be any better (even if one did exist), because its still going through the same interface.

Solution

boesgard

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012

What sort of speed would I be able to achieve and is it worth it? I get around 3mb/s with the HDD.
Can you recommend any good online shops (preferred in EC)?

boesgard

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
Do anyone know if both Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SSD and Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD will fit my laptop (see top)?

What is the difference between the two QVO is a lot cheaper but it seems like is id same speed?

USAFRet

Titan

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
Yes the SSD will be significantly faster than any hard drive. Is it worth it, well that's all a matter of what your trying to do, your budget and is certainly a matter of opinion. Personally I have SSD in most of my computers, but if cost is your biggest concern and your not doing anything that needs the extra speed, then you may want to go with the HD just for the lower price. If your getting an SSD I'd recommend the Samsung 860 EVO which gets around 500 MB per second.

A ssd will transform the performance of your laptop.
Everything you do will be quicker.
Laptop hard drives are optimized for battery savings , not performance.

Do not be much swayed by vendor synthetic SSD benchmarks.
They are done with apps that push the SSD to it's maximum using queue lengths of 30 or so.
Most desktop users will do one or two things at a time, so they will see queue lengths of one or two.
What really counts is the response times, particularly for small random I/O. That is what the os does mostly.
For that, the response times of current SSD's are remarkably similar. And quick. They will be 50X faster than a hard drive.
In sequential operations, they will be 2x faster than a hard drive, perhaps 3x if you have a sata3 interface.
6X with a pcie interface.
Larger SSD's are preferable. They have more nand chips that can be accessed in parallel. Sort of an internal raid-0 if you will.
Also, a SSD will slow down as it approaches full. That is because it will have a harder time finding free nand blocks
to do an update without a read/write operation.
Larger ssd devices have more endurance.

I love the samsung ssd migration aid.
You attach your new ssd(I suggest samsung evo or qvo) via a usb to sata cable like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapte...hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-572925725652
you run the app to copy your windows C drive to the ssd.
Your original drive remains unchanged.
Then just replace the HDD and boot.