[SOLVED] Which jacks do I need to use for 5.1 system (Pics included)

turret001

Commendable
Jul 27, 2019
Hello, I recently moved this piece of sound system from out of basement and I'm willing to set it up as 5.1 speakers for my computer, however I have no clue which 'ports' do I need to use and which cables I have to connect to my PC. My motherboard supports 5.1 sound and has 6~ jacks for audio. I just don't know how to connect this sound system to my PC.

This is a Kenwood DVR 7000. (note: that AUX port in the front is used for connecting to headphones.)

gPqjp3.jpg

9YQvAk.jpg

If you know which ports and cables I need to use, please circle the ports I need to use on image and link which cables I need. Thank you all in advance!

Reactions: Thunderstorm 67
Solution
It that doesn't work, you would need a single 3.5mm stereo to RCA L/R audio cable from the right/center audio port of your PC to the Left Audio Right ports in the front left of your Kenwood unit.

61KfgIDW3rL._SX425_.jpg

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
If your motherboard has a digital audio output, that would be the simplest and best way to connect. Otherwise, you would probably only be able to use a single 3.5mm stereo to RCA L/R audio cable from the green port of your PC to the Left Audio Right ports in the front left of your Kenwood unit.

-Wolf sends

turret001

Commendable
Jul 27, 2019
If your motherboard has a digital audio output, that would be the simplest and best way to connect. Otherwise, you would probably only be able to use a single 3.5mm stereo to RCA L/R audio cable from the green port of your PC to the Left Audio Right ports in the front left of your Kenwood unit.

-Wolf sends
Thank you so much for your reply, here's my motherboard https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z270-GAMING-PRO-CARBON.html does it support digital audio?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Yep!

Of the six "audio" ports, the oblong on in the lower left is your Digital Optical Audio out. Get an optical cable to connect between the two units and you should be good to go.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Did you install your motherboard audio drivers? What OS are you running?

turret001

Commendable
Jul 27, 2019
Yep!

Of the six "audio" ports, the oblong on in the lower left is your Digital Optical Audio out. Get an optical cable to connect between the two units and you should be good to go.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Did you install your motherboard audio drivers? What OS are you running?
that is great, thank you! I assume it will work as 5.1 and not stereo?

edit, I think I've installed audio drivers. I'm running windows 10

turret001

Commendable
Jul 27, 2019
It that doesn't work, you would need a single 3.5mm stereo to RCA L/R audio cable from the right/center audio port of your PC to the Left Audio Right ports in the front left of your Kenwood unit.

61KfgIDW3rL._SX425_.jpg

-Wolf sends
okay, I've successfully connected my 5.1 sound system to my PC and it's outputting audio,

HOWEVER; when I do 5.1 tests on youtube, only Front Left, Front Right and Center speakers work. When video tries to output audio thru back R and back L speakers, front speakers take their position.
any ideas?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Unfortunately, it appears you can only use one set of audio inputs, so just one of those cables will work. You can plug the PC into either the SAT IN, VCR IN or the Front L/R Audio inputs. Depending on the Kenwood, it MIGHT try to simulate surround sound from these. I don't know.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: turret001

turret001

Commendable
Jul 27, 2019
Unfortunately, it appears you can only use one set of audio inputs, so just one of those cables will work. You can plug the PC into either the SAT IN, VCR IN or the Front L/R Audio inputs. Depending on the Kenwood, it MIGHT try to simulate surround sound from these. I don't know.

-Wolf sends
I understand. I guess it's time to buy a new cinema sound system! Got any recommendations? Preferably 5.1

Wolfshadw

Titan
I bought an Onkyo some years back that I've been happy with, but I'm no audiophile. I bought a Kenwood system back in 1990 and use it up until around 2003. I bought the Onkyo HT-S3200 some 8 to 10 years ago and it's served me just fine. Between them, I've just used my PC speakers and a cheap RCA piece of crap.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: turret001

turret001

Commendable
Jul 27, 2019
I bought an Onkyo some years back that I've been happy with, but I'm no audiophile. I bought a Kenwood system back in 1990 and use it up until around 2003. I bought the Onkyo HT-S3200 some 8 to 10 years ago and it's served me just fine. Between them, I've just used my PC speakers and a cheap RCA piece of crap.

-Wolf sends
gotcha. I guess i'll have to do some digging and find something that suits my needs. thank you so much for helping me out. g'nite!