Which laptop is good for an undergraduate mechanical engineer student in 2021?

Stupiddude123

Prominent
Jan 19, 2020
1. What is your budget?
$1k-$2k
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15 in.
3. What screen resolution do you want?
1080p or 4k
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portable for the labs and some homework/note-taking
5. How much battery life do you need?
10 hours
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low, Medium, or High)?
League of Legends, but this isn't hard to run at low settings
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Some photo editing and watching videos of course
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
512 SSD
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Amazon, best buy, or from the company website
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
It should last me four years in my undergraduate study of mechanical engineering. If it is still in decent condition I will use it professionally.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer, Bluray ROM/Writer, Etc?
None
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I am fine with any brand as long as they have a good, consistent build quality in them.
13. What country do you live in?
United States of America
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I would like a good display as well because this will be my new laptop after moving on from my early 2013 MacBook Pro. I have no clue what software I will be using, but I am assuming that I will be using SolidWorks, Matlab, ANYS, and Inventor. I was also wondering if the Surface Laptop 4 or Dell XPS 15 would be fine for these programs that were just listed.

Thank you!