[SOLVED] Which Laptop NVME SSD For First-Time Upgrader?

ctrek

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2013
Hello, Everyone

The title says it all. I'm new at this, and am preparing to upgrade/replace the storage devices on two (2) laptops. They are... Laptop #1: Acer E 15 E5-575-54SM, i5-6200U, that I bought new in 8/2017 with a 1TB HDD, now with 8GBRAM. Laptop #2: Lenovo Ideapad 3, Model 15IIL05, i3-1005G1, bought new in 2/2021, with 8GB RAM and a 1TB HDD. I cannot narrow-down a choice for a NVME SSD with a budget of $80-$90. Thus far, I have purchased two (2) WD SN750 500GB SSDs, with intent to return them., because the box states that it is "gaming". Of interest, because of reviews of "energy-efficiency", I am considering the SK Hynix Gold P31 500GB SSD. Decisions, decisions. Help!

I would welcome, and await, any suggestions, and/or shared experiences with these SSDs. Thank you in advance.

Solution
Thus far, I have purchased two (2) WD SN750 500GB SSDs, with intent to return them., because the box states that it is "gaming".
The word "gaming" in the marketing text is totally irrelevant.
It is the same drive, with or without that word.

"Energy efficient" is the same. If you were to look into the stats of all comparable SSD, I doubt you'd find more than a watt or two difference, both idle and under load.

You NEED to determine what type drive your older Acer can take.
2.5" SATA III, M.2 SATA III, M.2 NVMe.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Returning an SSD because it has gaming on it? That doesn't matter at all, SSD is its controller and the flash chips, not going to be any difference between it and another SSD with the same components.

If they fit, use them. Battery life is going to be greatly improved over a spinning disk.

Pretty sure your older Acer there will only take a 2.5" SATA drive, you may want to confirm that, so you might be making a return anyway.

USAFRet

Titan
Thus far, I have purchased two (2) WD SN750 500GB SSDs, with intent to return them., because the box states that it is "gaming".
The word "gaming" in the marketing text is totally irrelevant.
It is the same drive, with or without that word.

"Energy efficient" is the same. If you were to look into the stats of all comparable SSD, I doubt you'd find more than a watt or two difference, both idle and under load.

You NEED to determine what type drive your older Acer can take.
2.5" SATA III, M.2 SATA III, M.2 NVMe.

Solution

ctrek

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2013
Hi, Eximo and USAFRet!

...and, thans, for your speedy reply.

The word "gaming" really threw me off, as I'm thinking that the WD SSD is gaming-specific. That, I am not. Any way, I got the WD's for a very good price, on sale at BB. But, afterwards read a few comments stating that the WD SSD's "run hot". This, in addition to the goof review on Tom's Hardware, is why I considered the SK Hynix SSDs even if they will cost a bit more.

The Acer laptop, has three (3) holes in a row, next to the SODIMMs on the MB, and a socket on each end of the area with the holes. Wasn't successful in trying to include a picture. I've read that finding the screws to mount the SSDs will be a task, for sure. Another saga.

USAFRet

Titan
The 3 holes are for different length M.2 drives.
The typical size is 2280.
22mm wide, 80mm long.

There are others at 42(?)mm long, and 110mm long.

Those WD are 2280. It will fit. Is there a screw in any of those holes? That is what you use.

ctrek

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2013
22mm wide, 80mm long.

Those WD are 2280. It will fit. Is there a screw in any of those holes? That is what you use.

22mm wide, 80mm long.

USAFRet, I salute your service. Many thanks!

First, please, excuse the typos. It was a good review, not goof, of the SK Hynix SDD.
No, there are no screws in either of the holes. One would think that part would have been included. I haven't opened the Lenovo yet. So, I don't know if I have to go on a quest for its mounting screw.