[SOLVED] Which laptop to choose? MSI GF 65 vs MSI GF75 ?

baltais99

Reputable
Aug 10, 2020
  1. MSI GF 65 Thin 10UE-272XPL, Intel® Core™ i5-10500H, RAM 8 GB, SSD 512 GB, 15.6 ", RTX 3060 6 GB VRAM, Price 1.1k Euros
  2. MSI GF75 Thin 10UEK, Intel® Core™ i7-10750H,RAM 8 GB, SSD 512 GB, 17.3 ", RTX 3060 MAX-Q 6GB VRAM 1.3k Euros
Hi guys!

Which one of these two would you suggest for gaming ?
My main worry is the graphics card on the second laptop (max-q), which in this case is worse because max-q cards are less powerful (right?)
And the second worry is about different CPUs (i5 vs i7 + boostable?), but as I read more info about them, they have quite similar performance?

Solution
Edit1: And btw do all laptop 3060s have a cap at 75w? As I understood the low 75w cap doesn't utilize the card's full potential right? If so, would you even recommend any of those laptops for gaming, or should I keep looking? The main things I wanted in the laptop was INTEL + Nvidia combo and price ranged max up to 1.5k euros.

No, so the range for the 3060 is 65-115w. Nvidia no longer use the Max Q/P nomenclature, so that's making choosing the right laptop with the more powerful GPU even more difficult! Don't figure, eh!?

Why Intel, do you mind me asking? I'd understand if it was an Alderlake based laptop (will give the best performance), but right now AMD CPU's run a lot cooler. For example my I7 9750h laptop, although...
Hey there,

In this case, both GPU's are the 75w variants, so take that out of the equation. That brings everything back down to the CPU and screen size. CPU's are close. Although the I7 can boost to 5ghz, you can bet your bottom dollar, it will hardly ever hit that speed except for light tasks. Gaming will prob max out at 4.5ghz all core boost. Arguably the better pricing might be the better differentiator.

I'd be going for the G75, Slightly stronger boost speed on the CPU will help push 144hz better. Performance for both will be close though. And they are still both 1080p screens even though ones 15.6 and the other a 17".

edit: Just a note on gaming laptops in general. They run hot, so with both these CPU's thermal throttling can be an issue. The good thing about MSI is they use good thermal paste (could be ThermoGrizzly IIRC)

Last edited:

baltais99

Reputable
Aug 10, 2020
Hey there,

In this case, both GPU's are the 75w variants, so take that out of the equation. That brings everything back down to the CPU and screen size. CPU's are close. Although the I7 can boost to 5ghz, you can bet your bottom dollar, it will hardly ever hit that speed except for light tasks. Gaming will prob max out at 4.5ghz all core boost. Arguably the better pricing might be the better differentiator.

I'd be going for the G75, Slightly stronger boost speed on the CPU will help push 144hz better. Performance for both will be close though. And they are still both 1080p screens even though ones 15.6 and the other a 17".

edit: Just a note on gaming laptops in general. They run hot, so with both these CPU's thermal throttling can be an issue. The good thing about MSI is they use good thermal paste (could be ThermoGrizzly IIRC)

Thanks for the tips, screen size doesn't matter for me, because I will use it with an external monitor as the main working/gaming display.

Edit1: And btw do all laptop 3060s have a cap at 75w? As I understood the low 75w cap doesn't utilize the card's full potential right? If so, would you even recommend any of those laptops for gaming, or should I keep looking? The main things I wanted in the laptop was INTEL + Nvidia combo and price ranged max up to 1.5k euros.

Edit2: I will be buying a laptop from here, https://www.1a.lv/c/datortehnika-pr...sesuari/portativie-datori/2t6?sort=price__asc (you can use translate to English page).

Last edited:

No, so the range for the 3060 is 65-115w. Nvidia no longer use the Max Q/P nomenclature, so that's making choosing the right laptop with the more powerful GPU even more difficult! Don't figure, eh!?

Why Intel, do you mind me asking? I'd understand if it was an Alderlake based laptop (will give the best performance), but right now AMD CPU's run a lot cooler. For example my I7 9750h laptop, although advertised as 45w TDP, is actually more like 65-70w when on it's all core boost. Those babies smoke. Whereas, AMD CPU's generally stick closer to their rated TDP. Their laptop CPU temps do seem to be a tad lower in general.

Edit2: I will be buying a laptop from here, https://www.1a.lv/c/datortehnika-pr...sesuari/portativie-datori/2t6?sort=price__asc (you can use translate to English page).

Let me have a look and see.

What about this:

Laptop Lenovo Legion 5 15ACH6H 82JU00A5PB PL, AMD Ryzen™ 5-5600H, for games, 16 GB, 512 GB, 15.6 " - 1a.lv

or this for a few quid extra:

Laptop Lenovo Legion 5-15 82JU00A1PB, AMD Ryzen™ 7-5800H, for games, 16 GB, 512 GB, 15.6 " - 1a.lv

Both with 16gb of ram.

Edit: The Ryzen 7 5800h is probably one of the best laptop CPU's you can get until Alderlake arrive.

Solution

baltais99

Reputable
Aug 10, 2020

Oh!! Didn't know that! Cheeky!

Why Intel, do you mind me asking? I'd understand if it was an Alderlake based laptop (will give the best performance), but right now AMD CPU's run a lot cooler. For example my I7 9750h laptop, although advertised as 45w TDP, is actually more like 65-70w when on it's all core boost. Those babies smoke. Whereas, AMD CPU's generally stick closer to their rated TDP. Their laptop CPU temps do seem to be a tad lower in general.

It's just a preference really, all my life I had only intel CPUs from 3rd Pentium Celeron and up :D And only one AMD cpu (bad experience, left me with trust issues towards them). But mainly I don't really know the ins and outs of their newest models, so I just stick with what I know.

Let me have a look and see.

What about this:

Laptop Lenovo Legion 5 15ACH6H 82JU00A5PB PL, AMD Ryzen™ 5-5600H, for games, 16 GB, 512 GB, 15.6 " - 1a.lv

or this for a few quid extra:

Laptop Lenovo Legion 5-15 82JU00A1PB, AMD Ryzen™ 7-5800H, for games, 16 GB, 512 GB, 15.6 " - 1a.lv

Both with 16gb of ram.

Edit: The Ryzen 7 5800h is probably one of the best laptop CPU's you can get until Alderlake arrive.

Thanks for taking the time to look through them!
What would be the performance difference between G75 vs Laptop Lenovo Legion 5-15 82JU00A1PB (ignoring RAM) ? (approx)

Edit: Spelling

Oh!! Didn't know that! Cheeky!

It's just a preference really, all my life I had only intel CPUs from 3rd Pentium Celeron and up :D And only one AMD cpu (bad experience, left me with trust issues towards them). But mainly I don't really know the ins and outs of their newest models, so I just stick with what I know.

Thanks for taking the time to look through them!
What would be the performance difference between G75 vs Laptop Lenovo Legion 5-15 82JU00A1PB (ignoring RAM) ? (approx)

Edit: Spelling

Hey,

Sorry for late reply. Hmmm. So, all things being equal (GPU/RAM/SSD etc) and only difference between CPU's - The Ryzen model will be slightly faster. Anywhere from 5-10% game dependent. This is a good illustration though: INTEL i7 10750H vs RYZEN 7 5800H || RTX 3070 @ 8GB || GAMING LAPTOP || - YouTube - keeping in mind Ryzen runs cooler too!

I hear ya on the bad experience issue. Have had similar before myself. However, the situation at the moment, is that you have 2 top tier CPu suppliers (arguably for if you factor in Apple/Arm). They don't typically have high failure rates.

Ryzen 5xxx series is a solid choice, if we are excluding Alderlake.

baltais99

Reputable
Aug 10, 2020
Hey,

Sorry for late reply. Hmmm. So, all things being equal (GPU/RAM/SSD etc) and only difference between CPU's - The Ryzen model will be slightly faster. Anywhere from 5-10% game dependent. This is a good illustration though: INTEL i7 10750H vs RYZEN 7 5800H || RTX 3070 @ 8GB || GAMING LAPTOP || - YouTube - keeping in mind Ryzen runs cooler too!

I hear ya on the bad experience issue. Have had similar before myself. However, the situation at the moment, is that you have 2 top tier CPu suppliers (arguably for if you factor in Apple/Arm). They don't typically have high failure rates.

Ryzen 5xxx series is a solid choice, if we are excluding Alderlake.

Thanks for all your tips, you were really helpful!

I'm probably going to get this one (Laptop Lenovo Legion 5-15 82JU00A1PB, AMD Ryzen™ 7-5800H ) ;)

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Thanks for all your tips, you were really helpful!

I'm probably going to get this one (Laptop Lenovo Legion 5-15 82JU00A1PB, AMD Ryzen™ 7-5800H ) ;)

No worries. Glad to offer some advice :) You might consider getting a good laptop cooling pad to go along with your lappie. They can help keep the thermals lower, by raising the rear of the laptop to allow cooler air into the laptop chassis, thus keeping the CPU/GPU cooler.

Yes, it's a good machine. Good luck, and happy gaming. You can close the thread out by choosing an answer as the solution.