Which laptops are usable on a beach in the summer?

PeterMuellerr

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Which laptops (or equivalent devices from a user's viewpoint) can survive the beach sand and the heat? That is, they should not need extra ventilation even when at high ambient temperature, their keyboards (and hinges, slots, connectors, etc. ) should tolerate a small amount of sand and drops of salty water, and their screens should be bright. Any screen diagonal between 13" and 15" would do. The device should be able to run TeXLive and a PDF viewer and have some connection to the outside world (I guess, WiFi or Bluetooth). Usage: a person should be able to do typesetting with the device while their spouse, friends, or relatives, with whom they spend their vacation, are are swimming, for example.

Last edited:

PeterMuellerr

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
@COLGeek , @USAFRet : Thanks! Will take a look. Concerning „Your work is extraordinary“: my work with such a device would be simple typesetting with LaTeX. The military-grade certification seems mostly an overkill to me and partially unsuitable. E.g., the device is unlikely to fall, get frozen or depressurized, or be exposed to vibration or explosive gases during the intended usage. The device will be exposed to humidity, and (what is missing in the white paper https://na.panasonic.com/us/sites/default/files/2018-10/not_all_rugged_is_equal.pdf) the water drops (and, partially, the sand) will be salty.

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
@COLGeek , @USAFRet : Thanks! Will take a look. Concerning „Your work is extraordinary“: my work with such a device would be simple typesetting with LaTeX. The military-grade certification seems mostly an overkill to me and partially unsuitable. E.g., the device is unlikely to fall, freeze, depressurize, vibrate or explode during the intended usage. It will be exposed to humidity, and (what is missing in the white paper https://na.panasonic.com/us/sites/default/files/2018-10/not_all_rugged_is_equal.pdf) the water will be salty.
Sand and sun are not your friends and thus the recommendations.

Reactions: PeterMuellerr

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Honestly think I would consider an iPad for such usage if it will do all the things you need done.

Was introduced to a neat trick with them as well....they fit inside and the touch screen works through a ziplock baggie.

PeterMuellerr

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Dell and Lenovo also have rugged laptops. There's also another company called Getac that specializes in this.
Thanks! They mention water resistance, but not salty-water resistance. The difference is huge: pure H₂O is a good electrical insulator, whereas salt water conducts electricity pretty well. The rugged laptops generally have dozens of other properties that are an overkill for my purposes (such as shock resistance, e.g.)

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks! They mention water resistance, but not salty-water resistance. The difference is huge: pure H₂O is a good electrical insulator, whereas salt water conducts electricity pretty well. The rugged laptops generally have dozens of other properties that are an overkill for my purposes (such as shock resistance, e.g.)
Outside of an unopened bottle of distilled water, there isn't any "pure H2O".

But yes, salt water is much worse.

The thing is though...ANY water that gets inside can short things out. Salt or otherwise.
All those ports need to be sealed in some fashion.

An iPad in a closed ziplock is proof against splashes.

But if throw any of those in the surf and let it sit for a few minutes...all bets are off.

PeterMuellerr

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Outside of an unopened bottle of distilled water, there isn't any "pure H2O".

But yes, salt water is much worse.

The thing is though...ANY water that gets inside can short things out. Salt or otherwise.
Yes, exactly. And if you were to certify a device as „waterproof“, you would probably take water with the highest degree of purity allowed.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Thanks! Frankly, I have never had an iPad in my hands, so I'd have to rely on someone else's experiences regarding (La-)TeX on an iPad.

In all fairness, I am an Android/PC guy, however I was rather forced into ownership of an iPad Pro, watch, and iPhone. The Watch and Phone work well together and were and easy sale. The iPad Pro was bit more niche and I ended up "stuck" with it, as it were. I have forced myself to use it and have a love hate relationship with it mostly due to my inexperience with the OS and Apple software, what it can and can't do.
It's VERY capable, it's got a gorgeous screen, and is stable as can be. The more I learn, the more I like it. Not enough to switch over, but I have a bit more respect for the hardware than I did before.

A lot of manufacturers that make or specialize in rugged laptops are meant to also be sold to the military, which I would also imagine would include a salt fog test for this sort of thing.

I also find it hard to imagine that someone is going to focus on one or two aspects of ruggedization and forget the rest. If you're taking it in into a harsh environment but you still have to treat it like a baby due to risk of physical shock damage, then I don't see a point in said device.