Question which m.2 slots to plug m.2 NVMe drives on aorus master z390?

Feb 17, 2019
I'll have a WD_black sn750 which is pretty fast, and a slower intel p660. Both are NVMe m.2 drives

Which slots should I plug them on my aorus master z390? There are 3 slots. Top, mid, and bottom. Not gonna connect any sata data cables so not worried about it disabling a sata slot.

Last edited:
Since you don't have SATA drives, it shouldn't really matter. Technically, the top spot is closer to the CPU and therefor should have higher transfer speeds. It should be impossible to notice the differences though. That being said, top spot, Samsung SSD. Middle spot, Intel SSD.

Feb 17, 2019
Since you don't have SATA drives, it shouldn't really matter. Technically, the top spot is closer to the CPU and therefor should have higher transfer speeds. It should be impossible to notice the differences though. That being said, top spot, Samsung SSD. Middle spot, Intel SSD.
holy cow didn't know what I was thinking, it's WD not samsung HAHAHA
forgot to mention second slot is going to be right behind a ginormous strix 2080Ti which is gonna be cookin' up lots of heat. Will it still be ok?

If I'm correct WD Black SSDs don't get all that hot and should be able to endure the temperature. Personally, I'd just put the drives where I can see them for aesthetic reasons, as both drives are fast enough not to be able to notice performance issues.

Feb 17, 2019
If I'm correct WD Black SSDs don't get all that hot and should be able to endure the temperature. Personally, I'd just put the drives where I can see them for aesthetic reasons, as both drives are fast enough not to be able to notice performance issues.
each slot already has a heatsink so i wouldn't be able to see them anyways, but i'll probably be putting the WD in the top slot. Wondering if intel p660 can endure the temps at mid slot

sniper23

Prominent
Jan 12, 2019
Well, that didn't take too long:

1. 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2M)
  2. 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2A)
  3. 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2P)

Basically, if you don't want to lose speed, Connect to M2a and M2M (slot 1 and 2, I guess).