Question Which M.2 SSD socket to use?

MarkS02

Prominent
Aug 25, 2020
Hi,

Got a new ASUS Prime Z490-A board with two M.2 SSD slot. Both support PCIe 3.0 x4.

M.2_1 is directly alongside the PCIeX16_1 slot meaning the double-wide graphics card is literally sitting on top of it. ASUS includes a nice padded heat sink cover but since they touch it seems more likely to transfer the GPU's heat into the SSD. The card will also cover most of the chipset as well.

M.2_2 is further down the board and back from the PCIe slots which will remain empty. A120mm fan in the case front will blow unobstructed right across it. Only downside to using M.2_2 is SATA 5&6 will be disabled but I'm only using #1 and doubt I'll ever use more.

So: Should I use the M.2_2 slot or the M.2_1 slot and move the graphics card to PCIeX16_2 slot to keep it off the SSD & the chipset?

Check the board pics here:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z490-A/

Thanks!

Last edited:

TK31

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
As both slots are the same speed, you should use the one on the bottom as this will have the better airflow so your SSD isnt "suffocated" by the GPU and you wont notice a performance difference.

Reactions: MarkS02

MarkS02

Prominent
Aug 25, 2020
As both slots are the same speed, you should use the one on the bottom as this will have the better airflow so your SSD isnt "suffocated" by the GPU and you wont notice a performance difference.

That's what I figured and it will also keep the GPU off the chipset cover as well. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

Check that. On second look I'm thinking I ought to leave the SSD in M.2_1 and move the GPU down to PCIex16_2 because it's the same also and that way the GPU stays off the SSD & the chipset cover.

Yes?

Thanks.