[SOLVED] Which m.2 storage works with B550 Tomahawk?

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
Long story short, went from intel to AMD and got a new motherboard too, left everything the same. Windows was acting funny and my pc would freeze randomly.

specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x
MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk motherboard
GTX 1070 FTW
750 GOLD EVGA PSU
16 gb g.skill f4-2800c17d ram (not on motherboard QVL list)
500gb sata 3 ssd
1tb hdd

Done extensive troubleshooting (check my earlier posts on my page for a list) and I've brought it into a technician who also couldn't resolve the issue.

A few troubleshooting methods ive used to save you time:
  1. half, then full windows reinstall
  2. bios update
  3. AMD chipset driver update
  4. memory test, all good
  5. etc...

Im beginning to just replace parts. My 5 year old SSD (although fully reinstalled windows) seems like a good start just so I can have a completely clean storage device that wouldn't have traces of intel drivers (I am also planning on getting compatible RAM but one thing at a time, were not rich here)

m.2 and nvme is a little past my storage knowledge, im not familiar with compatibility and speeds with them. My question is I know my motherboard can support 2x M.2 slots "lightning gen m.2" does that mean i can also hold nvme (which i believe speeds are faster)?

If so, could someone maybe pop a list of like 2-3 AMD compatible storage devices that work well with my motherboard?

All opinions are welcome!

Solution
M.2 NVMe drives will work the same on both AMD and INTEL.
There isnt that big of a difference between a high quaility SATA drives like Samsung 860 EVO,and a m.2 970 EVO IN NORMAL DAILY USE.
There are some times when you could really see the difference between a m.2 and sata,but for a normal average gamer,who just games,watches videos,mby stream,you wouldnt feel a big difference.
Althought when there is a opportunity you should take it,so i say get a m.2 ssd,something like this.For windows and related programs 500GB should be enough for idk 5-6 years.
M.2 NVMe drives will work the same on both AMD and INTEL.
There isnt that big of a difference between a high quaility SATA drives like Samsung 860 EVO,and a m.2 970 EVO IN NORMAL DAILY USE.
There are some times when you could really see the difference between a m.2 and sata,but for a normal average gamer,who just games,watches videos,mby stream,you wouldnt feel a big difference.
Althought when there is a opportunity you should take it,so i say get a m.2 ssd,something like this.For windows and related programs 500GB should be enough for idk 5-6 years.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
went from intel to AMD and got a new motherboard too, left everything the same. Windows was acting funny and my pc would freeze randomly.
This requires a full wipe and reinstall.

What specific drive are you trying to install to?

Which M.2 NVMe?
Samsung 970 EVO
WD SN550
Crucial P2 or P5

Pretzel12345

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
This requires a full wipe and reinstall.

What specific drive are you trying to install to?

Which M.2 NVMe?
Samsung 970 EVO
WD SN550
Crucial P2 or P5
So as mentioned previously, I did the half reinstall of Windows first, but as that did not work I did a complete wipe and reinstall of windows as well. And If I were to get m.2 nvme I would put the OS on there, I guess clone windows and set that all up then dump the old SSD. I haven't thought that far yet