[SOLVED] Which mac best for programming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asscold

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
Can someone give me background information about the Mac Air, Pro, IMac.

I will be doing programming such as Xcode, C, C++, and Photoshop.

I know Photoshop is not programming, but I want to know which is better and run smooth while loading "TRILLION Tons" of text or size of a picture and still running smooth(no delay, no lag).

Solution
Much more important than speed, for programming, is screen size. A Mac Mini with a 23" or bigger monitor is excellent for programming and is by far the cheapest choice. Heavy Photoshop use is completely different; for this you need plenty of RAM and decent CPU and GPU - this means a Mac Pro (NOT Macbook Pro).

An Air is pretty useless for either application. IMacs are overpriced and almost impossible to expand. Any laptop has too small a screen without using an external display.

An older Mac Mini would be my choice (not one of the new ones - there you are limited to the initial choice of RAM size and/or have to pay Apple's ridiculous price for enough RAM).

Edit: You might want to have a read of this article from Macworld...
Much more important than speed, for programming, is screen size. A Mac Mini with a 23" or bigger monitor is excellent for programming and is by far the cheapest choice. Heavy Photoshop use is completely different; for this you need plenty of RAM and decent CPU and GPU - this means a Mac Pro (NOT Macbook Pro).

An Air is pretty useless for either application. IMacs are overpriced and almost impossible to expand. Any laptop has too small a screen without using an external display.

An older Mac Mini would be my choice (not one of the new ones - there you are limited to the initial choice of RAM size and/or have to pay Apple's ridiculous price for enough RAM).

Edit: You might want to have a read of this article from Macworld: http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/best-mac-app-development-3449754/

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.