[SOLVED] Which MacBook to get?

J4CoB1

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
Hi guys, my friend has decided to get a MacBook which he will get for university which will involve just a lot of writing. There are two MacBooks which he is deciding between and one of them is the 2019 and other is the 2020 one.
2019-
Operating systemMacOS Mojave (10.14)
PERFORMANCE
Processor- Intel® Core™ i5 Processor
  • Dual-core
  • 1.6 GHz / 3.6 GHz
  • 4 MB cache
RAM16 GB DDR3 (2133 MHz)
Storage512 GB SSD

2020-
Operating systemMacOS Catalina (10.15)
PERFORMANCE
Processor- Intel® Core™ i5 Processor
  • Dual-core
  • 1.1 GHz / 3.5 GHz
  • 6 MB cache
RAM8 GB DDR4 (3733 MHz)
Storage512 GB SSD

I don't know which one would be better as both of them have i5s which have two cores but the biggest difference is RAM and my question is which one would be better as I don't know if MacBooks are capable to work the same as iPhones where 4 gigabytes of ram is enough because of the OS optimization which allows to have ''all the apps open'' and the phones still runs fine, so I don't know if 8GB of new and faster ram would be more stable than 16GB of ram but older and slower.
I will also leave a link for these laptops below.
2019-https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...luTVwHpKaU5YCPOJbFxM7ICQD1iD5y5c2x0H0ZiX9pXz4
2020-https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...WTsr7UFHlzffZnNZEOfoLw8I4HbHAQUSGdX_3txrQox4Y

Solution
My bad, I forgot to mention that the price difference is only about £80 so you would want to squeeze the best out of it. So I don’t know which of them performs better.

Then get the newer one with DDR4 RAM and it will probably have a bit faster CPU also. Either one is about double the price for the performance that is needed for basic use if you take away the Apple product premium price. Lenovo Yoga, Asus Zenbook are both good quality systems that will host hundreds less.

J4CoB1

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
Get whatever is cheaper, performance for typing documents and browsing the web will just about the same on either of those as well as on a 6yr old $200 used laptop with a solid state drive and 8 gb of RAM.
My bad, I forgot to mention that the price difference is only about £80 so you would want to squeeze the best out of it. So I don’t know which of them performs better.

Then get the newer one with DDR4 RAM and it will probably have a bit faster CPU also. Either one is about double the price for the performance that is needed for basic use if you take away the Apple product premium price. Lenovo Yoga, Asus Zenbook are both good quality systems that will host hundreds less.

Solution