Which mechanical switch do you prefer?

ventrium

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015
I finally made the switch from a membrane keyboard, and i was super excited for my first ever mechanical keyboard, i got a corsair vengeance k70 but accidently got red switches instead of blue ones, but i was so excited over my new mechanical keyboard i kept them anyways, but to my suprise, for a "non-clickity" switch, it has a satisfying mild deep tone on each press and is pretty loud, which is not a bad thing in my case because id like to have the experience of a blue switch, but thats probably just me bottoming out the key because of my membrane keyboard. So which key switch do you guys prefer? Also should i switch over to blues? or stick with reds, i do a lot of gaming and reds are better for gaming i hear, but some people say blues are fine for gaming.

Solution
i used a model m for 4-5 years and was perfectly comfortable doing so. honestly once you've used it awhile you do not even hear nor pay attention to the sound it makes. this is far more noisy than the blue's.

we do not purchase mechanical keys for the novelty value - we purchase them because they are very precise, exact and sharp feeling switches as opposed to the semi-gummy feeling or squishy feeling you get from rubber domes. the audible feedback was created for a specific reason - to help with typing accuracy and in tests it does have an effect though the tactile feedback has an even greater impact.

you can of course reduce the noise level with rubber o-rings under the switches. browns with o-rings arent quite as noisy.
BucklingSpring.gif

buckling springs :) oldschool.

as for modern switches.. of the ones i tried i like blues the best since they have both a tactile and audible bump. they arent as precise feeling as the old switch type though (which is only found on model m's and the repo unicomps).

you can game on any of the cherry mx switches. reds and blacks are said to be ideal for gaming because they have no key letoff or tactile feedback which could make double tapping keys harder to pull off. on the downside the linear nature of the keys means that typing on them can be a bit odd for some. the blues and browns have letoff so are more ideal for accurate typing although may not handle quick double taps of keys as well.

ventrium

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015

Yeah i know a couple people that are all for old school with ibm's buckling springs, and i can't lie, i would probably pick up one just for novelty purposes. Do the blue switches get annoying after a while, or just lose the novelty in them? or do you never get tired of them and click clack all day

i used a model m for 4-5 years and was perfectly comfortable doing so. honestly once you've used it awhile you do not even hear nor pay attention to the sound it makes. this is far more noisy than the blue's.

we do not purchase mechanical keys for the novelty value - we purchase them because they are very precise, exact and sharp feeling switches as opposed to the semi-gummy feeling or squishy feeling you get from rubber domes. the audible feedback was created for a specific reason - to help with typing accuracy and in tests it does have an effect though the tactile feedback has an even greater impact.

you can of course reduce the noise level with rubber o-rings under the switches. browns with o-rings arent quite as noisy.

Solution