Which Memory for Ivy Bridge Build?

maximillion82

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
I am going to buy a new system tomorrow, and I just noticed that G.Skill has new memory I wanted to spend about $100 on memory so I could either buy G.Skill Ripjaw X 16gb (2x8GB) 1600MHz, or G.Skill Trident X 8GB (2x4GB) 2400MHz. With Sandy Bridge I would get the 1600MHz but the Ivy Bridge memory controller can handle higher speeds, so I am not sure what to do here.

The system I am building will have the following components if that helps:
i7 3770K
Asus P8Z77-v pro (what's the difference to the P8Z77-v?)
2TB Seagate Barracuda
Cooler Master Silent Pro 850w
Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC

and either Ripjaws 16GB (2x8GB @1600MHz) or Trident 8GB (2x4GB @2400MHz)

I have not built a rig in over 6 years so I am a little out of date on hardware and the differences, my main concern is future upgradability. With the trident I top out at 16GB very fast memory with the Ripjaws I can get up to 32GB but slower memory. Which makes more sense.
I will be using the rig for graphic and video editing and I want to learn to use Maya, I also want to use it for video games that's why the Radeon.

xenon2000

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
I am wondering the same thing. And I ran across this link. Looks like we need to find the best 1600 ram instead for our new i7-3770K.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/ram/38613-gskill-tridentx-ddr3-2400-ivy-bridge-memory/?page=7

maximillion82

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

I bought 8GB (2x4GB) of G.Skill Ripjaw X at 2133 MHz for $59.00, thought I went the in between road, but I did get a 256GB Crucial M4 SSD and it makes everything insanely fast. I think it's better to get the slower memory and use the rest of the dough for an SSD, since the HDD will be the bottleneck not the ram even with 1600 MHz.

xenon2000

Distinguished
May 2, 2008

Actually, the HDD is only the bottleneck when it's used. And the slowest ram is certainly faster than the fastest HDD. Either way, you certainly want a lot of ram. And yes, the slowest SSD is a huge leap over the fastest HDD.

I don't have it built yet, but I have started buying components.

I am still having a hard time buying the i7-3770K which is why I haven't really put anything together.

So far I have bought:
RAM = 16 GB (4 x 4GB) Corsair Low Profile CAS 8-8-8-24 1600 ram , CML16GX3M4X1600C8
SSD = 240 GB Mushkin Cronos Deluxe (Toggle NAND) , MKNSSDCR240GB-DX
PSU = Corsair AX850 modular (Seasonic made)
MB = Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H

HDD = Likely just recycle from the many HDDs I have already.
GPU = still not sure. Max I will spend is for a single GTX 670, but supply is crap right now. I really don't game that much and Diablo 3 plays fine at 1920x1080 on my current system. Likely will go with a lower GPU.

CPU Cooler = Bought the NH-D14 but after getting it realized it doesn't have PWM fans. I figured this LGA 1155 compatible fan was the same as the LGA 2011 unit, but only the LGA2011 unit has the PWM fans. And the non-PWM fans on it don't behave well with Gigabyte boards according to Noctua. But mainly, I just want fan control with my motherboard and this unit is expensive enough without me having to replace fans. So I will likely return this. But I have no idea what else even comes close for OC air cooling.

And some mid-tower case. Will recycle my BD/DVD burner, keyboard, mouse, etc, for now.

maximillion82

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

Sounds very similar to my system, besides that you added more memory, and a different board.

I bought:
Cooler Master Storm Trooper Case
Intel i7 3770k
Asus P8Z77-V Pro Board
G.Skill Ripjaw X 8GB 2x4GB) @ 2133 MHz
Crucial M4 256GB
Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC dual fan
Cooler Master Silent Pro 850W modular PSU
LG BluRay Burner

I do prefer the Radeons for anything except gaming, when it comes to gaming the GeForce cards have better drivers, but Radeons use the same architecture as their high-end graphics/video editing cards, just tuned down a bit. Plus, if you use multiple monitors you can use eyefinity which is very nice. My CPU is more than fast enough (and I have not even OC'd it yet), so I don't really care about CUDA, which is in most applications a useless feature anyway.

xenon2000

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
I am not really tied to either ATI or Nvidia. I use both. My newer cards are Nvidia though. The Cuda works well in Photoshop and my Video transcodings. I haven't used Eyefinity. But the new Nvidia cards have the same type of technology, but called 3D Surround. Lame name, but same thing. One card to create 1 ultra wide "viewport". Though eyefinity supports more monitors than 3D Surround and more configurations. I would say that people who game and plan on running 4-6 monitors with like 3 super high end video cards, will want Eyefinity for sure. Otherwise I think anyone in the 1-2 card range with only 2-3 monitors, either platform has great options.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-surround-technology.html
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-eyefinity-technology/Pages/eyefinity.aspx

Though I only use a dual screen setup and at max I will go to 3 screens. But not for gaming. And since even old cards handle 2 screens fine. I am not concerned with either ATI or Nvidia's multi monitor options. I am currently thinking of 2 models for both ATI and Nvidia. Price is a big factor. So is fan noise, heat, etc. So not sure yet.

Though Photoshop CS6 supports many ATI and Nvidia cards. But I don't know if my transcoder does well with ATI GPUs. I do know it really speeds up with Cuda and my current E8500 system is a crappy GT 230 1GB video card.

Now if only the i7-3770K would get back in stock with Amazon or Newegg. I also just returned the Noctua NH-D14, so looking again for a cooling solution. I prefer air for more mid-size case options. But I might have to go liquid if I can't find an alternative to the Noctua NH-D14 for overclocking to the 4.0 to 4.2 range. I think 4.4 to 4.5 Ghz will just simply be much. I don't care to destroy the wattage jump. Even stock the i7-3770K will be a huge jump from my dual core E8500.

xenon2000

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
Finally. Amazon and Newegg got more stock of the i7-3770K. I ordered one from Amazon. So I should have it soon. The only things I need now is a case and heatsink/fan. At least to start I will be able to use the stock cooler and install Windows on my test bench.

I keep reading horror stories on both sealed loop liquid coolers like the Corsair H-series and even unsealed coolers. So I am 99% sure I will go with an air cooler.

I am having a really hard time finding a big air cooler that is well tested as good or better than the Noctua NH-D14. I just don't want that one, as it doesn't use PWM fans.

So if anyone has other big air coolers for overclocking, preferably ones that have good benchmark results that I can review.

maximillion82

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

The Noctura coolers are not bad, but if the fans bug you, why not just buy the heatsink and get the fans separately. There are other large air coolers, I found a list doing a Google search the other day, but sadly I can't remember exactly what I was searching for.
I am currently in the same position I am still running the stock fan, it actually does a pretty good job and is not obnoxiously loud, even have a slight overclock of 4.2 GHz and no temp problems at all. I wasn't going to OC until I have a better cooler, but Asus' AI suite did this automatically and as long as everything runs stable I am not going to bother slowing it down again.

I bought the CoolerMaster Storm Trooper case, it's a great case, I heard however that the HAF X runs the graphics cards a bit cooler, you can however always mount more fans on the storm trooper, it has multiple spots that allow you to do so.

xenon2000

Distinguished
May 2, 2008

So I finally got my i7-3770K, and while I returned the Noctua NH-D14, I might actually buy it again if I can't decide on something else now that I realize that my motherboard can control the non-PWM fans just fine.

I am currently using the CoolerMaster HAF 912 as I wanted a mid-size case that was as close in depth as my Antec Solo case. I am actually quite pleased with this case so far. Especially at $55.

I am having issues with my i7-3770K though. And it's driving me nuts. I am currently using the stock Intel cooler and stock speeds. And yet if I do an Intel Burn Test, the CPU hits 95-100C in less than 1 minute! That can't be right!.

So here is the deal. I first used the stock cooler just to do a memtest of the ram (as I always do for a new system), ram at stock speeds was fine. So I then installed a CoolerMaster 612 cooler using Arctic Silver 5. I didn't like the PWM ticking, which I don't have with the Intel PWM stock cooler, so I returned that cooler. And went back to the Intel one. So by this time I still had not done any CPU temperature testing. So I don't know if it was acting this way before.

But after all that, it means I am now using the Intel stock cooler with a clean slate of Arctic Silver 5. Which in opinion should be better than the TIM that came on the stock cooler. And now I am going the temperature stress testing at all stock speeds with a stock cooler. And it's no good! I have tried re-doing the TIM 4 times now. I am no noob to this and have confirmed the right amount each time I take it off to redo it. And for the heck of it I tried a little less and a little more, always with the same results. My i7-3770K is just way too hot when stress testing it as stock speeds with the stock cooler. This just can't be right. And you say your stock cooler does fine up to 4.2 Ghz OC at full load?

MaxMunch

Honorable
May 28, 2012

The IntelBurn test is an extremely powerful utility. It will ramp up your CPU to dangerous temperatures very rapidly, especially if you're testing with all of your memory. You have a lot of courage running that on a stock CPU cooler if you ask me!

I haven't tried running a burn test on my 3570k yet. I have a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler and CoolerMaster HAF932 Advanced Case.

At 4.3ghz my CPU runs comfortably under 40c with a system temp of 30c or lower while running SWTOR, Diablo III and ME3 all at maxed settings. I haven't gotten around to tweaking it any further than that yet.

Would definitely say get another CPU cooler and try again, the Intel stock cooler annoyed me to no end.

xenon2000

Distinguished
May 2, 2008

No matter how you max out all 4 cores and 8 threads, the stock cooler should be able to work fine at stock speeds. With the max being 105C, I would expect the stock cooler to stay under 90C 24/7 with full load. And right now it does not for me. I have tried 3 different tools for maxing out the CPU. All of them create the same full load and temps from my CPU. IBT, AIDA64 stress tess, wPrime. And I have used IBT many times in the past with stock coolers to make sure everything is working properly.

I prefer to start 100% stock cooler and stock speeds to get my baseline temperatures and benchmarks. And then I move to an aftermarket cooler, stress test and benchmark again. And finally I do my OC, stress test, and benchmark. I am not looking to break any records. My end goal is simply a quiet OC of 4.2 Ghz or so, on air. Which I know is fully obtainable.

maximillion82

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

I ran AIDA64 at 4.2GHz on stock cooler it got a little hot but not the point of causing the system to overheat. But to be on the safe side after Asus AI Suite overclocked it to 4.2GHz and it did get hotter than I am comfortable with 101 degree Celsius, I clocked the system back to stock. For now the stock clock is more than I need and it will take a long time probably until I have to OC the system again. But I do recommend to upgrade the CPU cooler.

xenon2000

Distinguished
May 2, 2008

Oh I will definitely use a bigger cooler. Always have. But I just want to make sure I haven't overlooked something that is causing my high temps. When I say overheat, my system has never crashed, shutdown, or BSOD on me. As I have certainly seen that occur when I get a CPU way too hot. But over 90C is just hotter than I think it should be even for a stock cooler, when I am not overclocking at all.

If you still have the stock cooler in place. Do you mind putting the CPU back to stock speeds and running AIDA64 stress test for at least 5 minutes and report your 4 core temps? I will check mine again, but I am pretty sure I hit 95C in less than 1 min and 102C is less than 3 mins. Personally I think the stock cooler should be able to keep any core under 90C at full load 24/7, when not overclocking at all. Especially for a 77W TDP chip.

xenon2000

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
K, so here are my numbers. IBT standard or maximum, same results. I let it run for about 3 mins. Ambient room temp is about 78F (25.5C). Lowest core hits 95C and the highest core bounces around at 104 and 105C with the stock cooler and stock 3.5/3.9 turbo, speed. I am starting to think I need to contact Intel support. This just can't be normal.

xenon2000

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
Well, I chatted online with Intel support. How worthless. They kept telling me they can only go by the BIOS temp reading. I don't know about the Intel motherboards, but the Gigabyte one only shows a single CPU temp and not the individual cores. I am also positive that the BIOS is NOT utilizing the cores 100%. So it's just an idle temp measurement at it's set speed. That is useless.

Then they said the CPU warranty only counts if I am using the stock bundled cooler. Which I already told them I was. But that doesn't make sense as Intel sells water cooler solutions.

So this is lame. They recommend that I do a replacement with Amazon. But Amazon is out of stock. Which means even more time to wait. I have never had so many issues with a CPU before. It's driving me nuts.

I did a blender test which only hit about 75% cpu usage (all 8 threads active) at turbo 3.9Ghz, and the temps were hitting 80-90C. Again, that can't be right even with a stock cooler... in a room that is 78F.

Can anyone else post their stock cooler and stock speed i7-3770K temps under full load?

xenon2000

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
Processed an exchange with Amazon. Now to wait for more stock and my new 3770K. Sorry I got off track. I will start a new thread for my journey. Then later I will post my overclocking results with the Corsair 8-8-8-24 1600Mhz 16 GB (4x4GB) kit that I am using.

maximillion82

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
i am just getting AIDA64 again sorry about the delay, 90C sounds about right at 75% the Ivy Bridge CPUs are getting very hot, but I will run the stress test as soon as it's installed and post the numbers

maximillion82

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
I ran AIDA64 for 5 minutes with a stock fan, here are the MAX temperatures:
CPU overall: 58 degrees C
CPU 1 Core 1: 76 degrees C
CPU 2 Core 2: 80 degrees C
CPU 3 Core 3: 81 degrees C
CPU 4 Core 4: 76 degrees C